Gospel CDs?

Discussion in 'Music' started by James~P, Aug 29, 2003.

1. James~P

James~P Stunt Coordinator

anybody have suggestions for live Gospel? I love that high energy stuff...

thanks

2. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Aretha Franklin - Amazing Grace

3. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

Check out Mahalia Jackson's Live at Newport 1958 and Recorded Live in Europe During Her Latest Concert Tour. These two albums are both live (obviously) and are a real treat even for someone who doesn't like gospel. You'll find yourself tapping your foot and cheering by the end of each album.

The European tour is actually quite amazing. The last two songs were not on the original album but added to the CD. One is called "Didn't it Rain" and the other is "When the Saints Go Marching In". I believe it was recorded somewhere in France and it is simply Mahalia and her long time sidekick Mildred Falls on the piano. By the end of each song, the crowd has been whipped into such a frenzy that they cannot control themselves, and what makes that amazing is that most of them didn't speak a word of English!!!!!

Another great artist to check out is Marion Williams who came to my attention while watching the extras for Fried Green Tomatoes. There is a section where she does a version of "Didn't it Rain" that brings down the house and I believe it is available on the soundtrack along with a few other tracks by her. Some of her live albums are also quite inspiring but I've only listened to clips on-line.

Enjoy,
    Lin

4. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Look up MONTREAL JUBILATION GOSPEL CHOIR on Amazon. You'll find some high energy soul in their catalogue. [​IMG]

5. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

6. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I forgot about that one, thanks to Vickie's reminder I've pulled it out for a spin.

I once had a cd of The Gospel at Colonus; Morgan Freeman narrates, but there is some amazing music. Unfortunately, I sold it in a foolish moment, and now I've been looking for years for the video of the program to come out [​IMG]