Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough submitted a new blog post

Gosford Park Blu-ray Review (Arrow)
gosfordparktop-1024x681.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Thanks, just what I hoped to read. It's one of my releases of the year, I put it on top of my Christmas pressy list, so I'll probably be watching it early January.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It's a very nice Blu-ray - good set overall.

Was there ever a prior US Blu-ray for this movie? I did some research and couldn't get a definitive answer...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
No, but there was a Canadian one.

Thanks! I found some "not sure where they're from" BDs of "Park" on Amazon but since I couldn't locate any US reviews, I figured there probably had never been a US release before now...

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks for the review!

Pre-Ordered Via B&N through Arrow 50% off sale

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Great review, Matt! I’m especially in awe of your ability to distill a complex and well-stuffed film like this, which such a large and glorious cast, into a readable piece that doesn’t shortchange any of it.

I also can’t believe that it’s been over 15 years since this was in theaters...I feel like I just saw it last week!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Great review, Matt! I’m especially in awe of your ability to distill a complex and well-stuffed film like this, which such a large and glorious cast, into a readable piece that doesn’t shortchange any of it.

I also can’t believe that it’s been over 15 years since this was in theaters...I feel like I just saw it last week!
Thank you, Josh, for those kind words. The fact is that my heart always breaks a little when dealing with complex films, especially well-stuffed ones like this, because so many wonderful small things must be omitted to keep the piece from becoming unwieldy and tiresome to read. A long essay like Sheila O'Malley's in the booklet gets to cover the minutiae that a more general review like mine must omit.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I always had to watch this film with the captioning on because there's so much overlapping dialogue coming at you. It helps for clarity--trust me!

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I always had to watch this film with the captioning on because there's so much overlapping dialogue coming at you. It helps for clarity--trust me!
I highly recommend this to people as well. I'm an Altman fan, but on this one he experimented with dialog, sound recording, etc. and it doesn't quite hold up for a new viewer trying to follow.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I highly recommend this to people as well. I'm an Altman fan, but on this one he experimented with dialog, sound recording, etc. and it doesn't quite hold up for a new viewer trying to follow.
That's why you can watch it repeatedly and continue to notice things that you missed.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
My copy did arrive Monday and I watched it straight away that night. :)

The weather was awful yesterday and I had an afternoon wallow watching it again but this time with the Julian Fellowes' commentary. Once you get over the name dropping of the various (eccentric) aristocratic family links he has, this is a very informative track, with loads of information about the film and the 'truth' of the actions and activities we see on screen.

Highly recommended!

Users who are viewing this thread