What's new

3D Gorilla At Large (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Johnny Angell said:
Halloween before last I carved Attack on a giant pumpkin. It was the last of 3 giants and I ran out of time, so the carving was incomplete. I'm going to have to revisit it someday.

That's amazing work, Johnny, especially considering these wonderful carvings were doomed to self-destruct in a few days. Good thing you photographed them.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Dick said:
That's amazing work, Johnny, especially considering these wonderful carvings were doomed to self-destruct in a few days. Good thing you photographed them.
Thank you. Since it's incomplete, I'm thinking about redoing it this year, along with The Incrdible Shrinking Man, and the Amazing Collosal Man. Sort of a theme there. Did
King Kong last year.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob Furmanek said:
Yes, but will it be 3-D?

They do not have a 3-D master. We spoke about creating one a year or so ago - and doing the alignment/restoration - but nothing came of it.

Sorry, to bring up this old topic but at Fox Studios I did ask if they had any plans for releasing any of their 1950's 3D titles in 3D on Blu-ray. They mentioned Gorilla at Large by one of their partners so I guess this is a go - no date was given.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The 3-D - as usual for any Golden Age title - is VERY strong.

It's also a widescreen film - 1.66:1.

Fox does not currently have a 3-D master and whether they spend the money to scan the 35mm elements to create one is going to be based on interest and sales potential.
They only have HD of one side. We would need to ID the side (it's not listed on the inventory) scan the opposing eye and then do shot-by-shot panel matching and alignment. We can do it (and make it flawless) but we're looking at an expense of around $8 - 10K for the three month job.

I'm not optimistic that Twilight Time will spend that kind of money to release it in 3-D...

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes
The 3-D - as usual for any Golden Age title - is VERY strong.

It's also a widescreen film - 1.66:1.

Fox does not currently have a 3-D master and whether they spend the money to scan the 35mm elements to create one is going to be based on interest and sales potential.
They only have HD of one side. We would need to ID the side (it's not listed on the inventory) scan the opposing eye and then do shot-by-shot panel matching and alignment. We can do it (and make it flawless) but we're looking at an expense of around $8 - 10K for the three month job.

I'm not optimistic that Twilight Time will spend that kind of money to release it in 3-D...
Is crowd funding a viable option, like September Storm? I'd be up for that and I'm sure many other members and 3D fans would be, too.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Earlier this year, I suggested to Nick Redman that rather than release it flat, TT should relinquish their license so that Kino could acquire the license. They would spend the money to produce a 3-D master.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Earlier this year, I suggested to Nick Redman that rather than release it flat, TT should relinquish their license so that Kino could acquire the license. They would spend the money to produce a 3-D master.
Hi Bob!

Are you able to state what Nick Redman's response was, or whether Twilight Time is in fact, willing to relinquish their license for GORILLA AT LARGE (1954)?

CHEERS! :)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I told him releasing it flat is pointless. Would they release a Technicolor film in black and white or a CinemaScope film in pan and scan?

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Maybe, as others have speculated, TT is waiting to see the sales for its January release of MAD MAGICIAN before committing to another 3D blu? For what it's worth, my order is already tee'd up. The more word-of-mouth -- and, hopefully, press -- that can be stirred up for MM, the better...

We know that set manufacturers have stopped building new 3D TV sets -- but some companies are still manufacuring 3D bluray players and projectors. It's certainly in their interests to see a robust market for 3D blurays new and classic. Wondering if there's some way of enlisting their support, if those discussions haven't already happened...?

My biggest fear is that license holders emulate Mr. Williams and irrationally choose to sit on a depreciating asset...

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I would have to think that they must have had some thought of a possible 3D release. It has no major stars; it's not a genre favorite. 3D really is the star.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I would have to think that they must have had some thought of a possible 3D release. It has no major stars; it's not a genre favorite. 3D really is the star.
To be honest, I'm not sure if I would be in as I don't have a 3-D setup, and GORILLA AT LARGE (1954) has never been a favorite of mine. That said, I do agree it does scream for 3-D, although to be fair, I believe Raymond Burr was in this film, and certainly is remembered today!

Heck, maybe I would grab this one for sentimental reasons, but only if it's restored properly!

CHEERS! :)

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot

Decades ago, when TV stations aired those awful anaglyph versions of some 1950s 3D movies,
I thought "Gorilla at Large" was the only one that looked decent and had any depth with the red/blue mess.

I would buy it in polarized/active-vision 3D Blu-ray,
but
I would pass by it without a thought were it not in proper 3 Dimensions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks