What's new

Goonies Video Commentary: The Best Ever? (1 Viewer)

StephenT

Stunt Coordinator
I watched it last night, and it was very enjoyable. I really like the video/audio style. It did get annoying when everyone would talk at once and people would get cut off, but what do you expect when you have that many people doing a commentary?
------------------
Stephen

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
I can't wait to get this DVD, but it looks like I have to wait a few days. The stupid BB around here only got in 24 copies.
furious.gif
I had a meeting in the morning. I couldn't leave for a few minutes to go and pick it up early. I guess they were sold out before lunch as I asked a few employee's about it when I didn't see it on display.
On the other hand, they had SOTL and Hannibal at $16.99 a piece with $5 off if you buy both. Guess who bought both last night for under $29. That's not to shabby I guess.

Travis Prebble

Auditioning
I'm afraid I have to weigh in with my disappointment regarding the Goonies commentary. While the format was excellent, there were simply too many people (and one Corey Feldman too many).
Honestly, if somebody told me I had to sit next to Feldman for two hours (Astin), I'd get up and leave, too.
For those who haven't yet experienced this commentary track, let's just say that Feldman comes across like that drunk uncle at the family reunion. Nobody really wants to talk to him, but hey, he's family, what're ya gonna do? If you listen in the second half of the commentary, even some of the other cast members are taking snipes at him, trying to cut him short.
Certainly, there were a few good bites of BTS information (mostly from Chunk), but the competitive nature of 8 people all wanting to say something left most of the commentary in a shambles.
The benefit, however, is that you can use the commentary to make a drinking game. Every time Feldman makes a joke and nobody laughs, take a drink. :)

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
For those who haven't yet experienced this commentary track, let's just say that Feldman comes across like that drunk uncle at the family reunion. Nobody really wants to talk to him, but hey, he's family, what're ya gonna do? If you listen in the second half of the commentary, even some of the other cast members are taking snipes at him, trying to cut him short.
hahahaha
Very funny! The guy had one sniff tooo many
------------------
British film-making blows away Hollywood.
Why? Verisimilitude!
Superman CINEMA
http://www.deceptions.net/superman

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
My favorite part was when Chunk made fun of that horrible blue-screen shot and took shots at Donner. "What is that? Donner, what was that, buddy? Come on, man, this was a big budget movie. You can make a guy fly, but you can't make us stand against a coast? Come on!"
I'm still rolling on the floor. :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
My favorite is the perfectly timed (to Sloth spreading his wrist chains apart) DO YOUR MATH!!!!!!!!! :)
Jeff Kleist

I loved when Martha Plimpton was making fun of "It's our time down here ..." and Donner says something like "Up there it's daylight savings time." Absolutely cracked me up.
laugh.gif

------------------

JeremyJones

Agent
Absolutely, this is the funniest commentary I've heard. I rarely laugh out loud at a movie, much less the commentary! Josh Brolin's comment about Robert Davi was hilarious. "He really thinks this is happening, look at him." And the 'Our time' comments were great. Even Corey Feldman's redubbing lines was funny. If your still pondering getting this DVD, go get it!

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
I thought "Goonies" was released 8/21 but nobody in town seems to have it. Not BB nor Circuit City. Did something happen?

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I just picked up my copy (the last one in the store) yesterday but I haven't had a chance to watch it with the commentary yet.
From what everyone's saying, this commentary should be a blast. It reminds me of the commentary on C.H.U.D. It's only audio, but the way the commentators have so much fun with the film and each other made me think of it.
Todd.
------------------
"He'll flip you, flip you for real."

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Josh Brolin's comment about Robert Davi was hilarious. "He really thinks this is happening, look at him."
The best bit of all that was Brolin saying the "I'm REALLY going to cut you" bit.. Brolin needs more mainstream work, he's excellent.
Goonies 2 has the potential to be the coolest thing ever. Forget Indy 4... :)
Dan (UK)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I especially enjoyed Josh Brolin's insistence that everything in the film was real, i.e fire, gasoline, explosions etc. and nothing was faked.
And what about Corey Feldman's confession that he and Sean Astin snuck a peek at the pirate ship when no one was around, seemingly pissing off Donner, who for all these years thought that they had all seen the ship for the first time while filming said scene. He seemed genuinely surprised and a bit angry, dismissing it as a lie. If you look at Feldmans face, you just know he's telling the truth.
Lots of great little tidbits like that in this commentary. :)
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
And what about Corey Feldman's confession that he and Sean Astin snuck a peek at the pirate ship when no one was around, seemingly pissing off Donner, who for all these years thought that they had all seen the ship for the first time while filming said scene. He seemed genuinely surprised and a bit angry, dismissing it as a lie. If you look at Feldmans face, you just know he's telling the truth.
Yeah i agree i think Feldman was telling the truth about seeing the pirate ship but it did seem to upset Donner a bit. He just kept saying Feldman was lying, it's just too bad Astin wasn't there to confirm this (gah why'd he have to leave!).
------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection
[Edited last by SteveBjr on August 23, 2001 at 08:49 PM]

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
The funnies thing in the entire track was Josh Brolin making the farting sound when Andy and him were about to kiss. I just about fell off my couch laughing!! :)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I also liked the part where Key Quan was saying his line..."You know, I'm wondering whats in the bag!"
That was funny as well.
really sad to see them all say goodbye at the end
frown.gif

I sure hope they make a Goonies 2, and when they do, have another video commentary!! :)
------------------

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I also liked when Mr. Perkins comes on screen, Martha Plimpton says "SCREW YOU MR. PERKINS!"
laugh.gif

------------------

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
By far Martha Plimpton gets my vote as the most amusing goonie in the commentary, she was hilarious. I loved the part when she made fun of herself saying she was asleep in the background, I was laughing so hard...
laugh.gif

Like many, I agree that this ranks among the most amusing commentaries (along with Mallrats and any commentary with Bruce Campbell).
Great stuff, highly recommended.
------------------
Frank
frank.jpg

DVD Collection | Website

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoyed this commentary! I also didn't mind Feldman's comments too much. I'm more curious about where Astin went. Generally, good stuff!

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I finally got this DVD today and like always wanted to check it before I watch it later. I ran the commentary track to watch for like 5 minutes and I ended up watching the whole thing! It's a long time that I have not listened to any commentary and I always watch the movie first (even the movies that I have seen before and have not yet seen on DVD!). This was excellent and very funny commentary. I'm just wondering why Sean Astin left? I mean even when you have things to do, you can always free your time for a once-in-a-life-time commentary! Maybe he got upset. I noticed that every time he started to tell a story he was interrupted by Feldman!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks