What's new

Goonies Video Commentary: The Best Ever? (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
For those of you that are purchasing The Goonies, are you in for a treat.
I watched The Goonies this weekend with the Video Commentary Track and let me tell you, it is the most entertaining commentary track I have ever seen/heard.
It is presented via seemless branching, so every once in a while, the camera pulls back to reveal the entire cast along with Richard Donner watching and commenting on the film which is shown in the lower right corner.
The entire cast is having a blast reminiscing about the making of the film 16 years earlier and all of them have a hilarious story or two to tell. It's a bit hard to distinguish who is speaking, since they are all talking over each other sometimes, but you figure out who is speaking pretty quickly.
Corey Feldman (Mouth) dominates the track, but Jeff Cohen (Chunk), Martha Plimpton, Kerri Greene, Josh Brolin, Ke Huy Quan, and Sean Astin (who disappears after an hour?) all add to the discussion. Amazingly, Richard Donner has the least to say, not surprising since he says he hasn't seen the film since he made it.
I found myself laughing hysterically at the stories they were telling and their enthusiasm and ribbing of each other was genuinely funny. You can really tell they all had a lot of fun making this film. And I had a tremendous amount of fun watching and listening to them on this commentary track. You will too. I guarantee it!
This has instantly become one of my favorite DVD's.
Tino....You GOONIE!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I could be any more pumped than I am right now about this disc. Tomorrow, after work, I'm picking up my copy, and watching it when I get home. I can't wait.
------------------
Kyle³
------------------
Yahoo Messenger - digitalkyle

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
I've been waiting for this movie to hit DVD! Can't wait til tomorrow to pick this up :) It's one of my favorite movies of all times.
------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Damn I can't wait!!!!
I haven't seen the Goonies since about 1991 and that was on a VHS tape recording of it off of TV .

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Couldn't agree more! I watched this commentary on Sunday night, and I was just basking in nostalgia! I was a bit disapointed when Sean Astin just left the group though, but the others more than made up for his absence.
I just want to know one thing, what was the message that Sean Astin wanted to say to Cindi Lauper? The others wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise.
------------------
Warner Bros. is officially dead to me.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Can you just listen to the commentary like any other normal such track, or do you HAVE to watch the video portion?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Carl
The video commentary is the only option. There is no audio only commentary on the disc.
------------------

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I in no way thought it was the best commentary ever, but it's up there as being one of the best "goofing around" tracks I've heard/seen, though, in my opinion, just a shade under the hilarity of the Mallrats commentary. For some parts its hard to hear some discussion since everyone ends up talking at once and there are multiple commentaries going on at the same time, regardless though, I was laughing out loud on numerous occasions.
It's a shame Sean Austin leaves half way into it, I agree.
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on August 21, 2001 at 09:45 AM]

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Ahh I'm so pumped about this movie. I just walked over to the mall during lunch to pick it (and Hannibal) up. I couldn't wait for it, so I broke my "No Suncoast" rule and bought it from the king of overpricing; however, it was only $19.99 at Suncoast (as well as Hannibal), plus it saves me a ride on the subway to get to Best Buy. Can't wait to get home to pop this in!

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
There were just too many people talking! Every time someone would start a story, someone else would interrupt to point something out (like the special message for Cyndi Lauper which was never finished). I was frustrated- so many stories started, so few anecdotes actually told.

Gary Case

Auditioning
Does anyone know where Sean went? He wasn't wearing the headphones like everyone else during most of the shots. Maybe he wasn't feeling well?
-Gary

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Everyone took off their headphones, it's not like they were really watching the movie :) I'm guessing Sean Astin is looping LOTR, and could only stay for an hour

Gary Case

Auditioning
The video commentary format is a great idea! There should definitely be more commentary tracks like this one. Kudos to DVD producer Jonathan Gaines for this wonderful extra.
One of the most interesting things discussed in the commentary track is the sequel that's being planned. (Okay, okay. Someone mentioned it once, and got hushed up pretty quickly.) Check this link for a little more information and some info about the Goonies house in Astoria: Link Removed
And of course there's Link Removed for all your Goonies needs.
-Gary

Stephen L

Second Unit
I watched the video commentary and found it entertaining but it left me with two questions. Why did Astin leave?Does Feldman ever stop talking??
------------------
Steve

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Actually, they did finish most of the big anectodes, including the Cyndi Lauper one (Basically, Sean Astin was going to go up to her and tell her he has all her records, and he would like to produce her next album
Jeff Kleist

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Jeff
In regard to the Cyndi Lauper story, I think that was a joke made by Corey Feldman and not the real story...We may never know.
In regard to Sean Astin leaving, seriously, would it have been that hard to stay for another hour? Without a reason given for his early departure, it appears as though it was not that important to him to be there.
Well, at least he did show up for an hour, which is better than not showing up at all, and he did contribute a few stories.
I have watched this video commentary three times already. It is SO damn entertaining. Perhaps not the best, but IMO, the most entertaining. :)
------------------

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
What gets me so much about Astin checking out early is that he leaves damn near right before his "our time" speech and what have you. Real shame...
Does Feldman ever stop talking??
I heard he's still there in the recording room going on about the movie and making more jokes that don't really work. :) Seriously though, I liked his comments for the most part, but Josh Brolin seemed to have the funniest comments. Martha Plimpton had some funny stuff too.
I too have run the commentary a few times now. The talk of the voices in Mikey's head still have me laughing out loud, that along with Feldman's "down here in Lord of the Rings world" comment.
Dan (UK)

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I loved how Josh Brolin was busting Robert Davi's balls throughout the commentary. It was just one fun commentary from start to finish.
-- Matt

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I havent finished the commentary yet so I didnt know Astin left but all I have to say so far is that I Want Feldman to shut the Hell Up!! Also Kerri Green is looking good!! I loved the line where someone said that it felt like they were filming an Indiana Jones movie and asked Ke Huy Quan if he agreed.
Overall a fun commenary but I did want Donner toi talk more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks