What's new

Goonies Cover Art - Huh? (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
This is a very minor complaint I have, but I'd like to ask you new Goonies owners to take a close look at the DVD cover art. I realize that this is a copy of the old VHS cover art, but doesn't it look kinda...wobbly?
Look at Data's face. It's all puffy and weird. And Mikey doesn't even look like Mikey at all!
Again, I'm not whining. This is a great DVD and I'm thrilled to own it. But am I nuts or does the cover look kinda freaky to to you?
Original VHS Cover: (Thanks to Link Removed
New DVD Cover:
B00005J6UP.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

And just for fun, a real close take on what the original poster art looked like:
Link Removed
------------------
Scott
Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
I agree. Mikey looks like....like an elf or something.
Maybe it's some type of promotion for Astin's Lord of the Rings...
biggrin.gif

------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

DannyS

Second Unit
Now this is one issue that REALLY riles me. WHy oh why oh why do they ruin perfecly fantastic artwork? The Phantom Menace anyone? God, at least have a reversible "collectors" cover for the artwork fans out there! I also cannot believe the idots that ruin perfectly good films by giving away the "surprise" on the cover. CE3K, Planet of the apes, etc, etc... Anyway, give me the original art any day over a sloppy "altered" version.
------------------
Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
Sony DVP 536
Old Panasonic Stereo! :)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Hmm. I'm not sure cover art's that important. In the UK we tend not to have the same artwork on videos as films as our posters are displayed wider than taller - US posters seem pretty much to be already designed for a video box.
As for Star Wars I think you have to remember that with the original trilogy releases (over here in the UK) we went through 18 different covers - three releases, each in W/S and 4:3 and each had different covers.
Personally I didn't like a lot of them - I've always had a particularly loathing of the US Star Wars film poster with that bizarre muscley chest they invent for Mark Hamill - The UK one was much better with a good likenesses but I guess both have been lost now because they were on old versions of the movies. Each time the come round they seem to have new pictures.

DannyS

Second Unit
POint taken. BUT. It is important if it gives away the ending of the bloody film! ! ! :)
------------------
Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
Sony DVP 536
Old Panasonic Stereo! :)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I don't really like the cleaned up pic used for the DVD. That VHS pic is better, the strong colours in the DVD version really throw the artist's renderings of the actors, making the images look less and less like them. Chunk looks like some kind of gopher!
I'm looking at the spine of the box for most of the time, so I can't launch into a total rant over cover art to be honest. Little point, the disc is nice, so great!
Dan (UK)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I can really understand why the cover art on DVD's is changed from the original poster art. It's not too difficult to imagine what they're trying to do: appeal to a different market and/or an expanded market. I won't go into the whole idea here, it really is pretty obvious.
However, it doesn't hurt to include the original artwork for the poster either on the disc as an image, or (like with The Philadelphia Experiment I picked up yesterday on the budget rack, or Battle Beyond the Stars, just to name a couple) as the image on the insert of the keepcase.
Goonies cover art doesn't strike me as all that bad, but I agree it does seem like an attempt to replicate the original, but it wasn't a 100% job. Close enough for me, though! :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
My 3-year-old enjoying Superman - The Movie in widescreen:
Steve_Widescreen.jpg

(Some of my DVD's are to the left side of the picture)

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
Sean, I think Paul is joking.
If he isn't then he is missing out on a great disc - watched it last night.
Don

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks