What's new

Google's Project Ara (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Not surprised Sam hates the idea, given what he's said in the fragmentation thread and this:
Between a hardware ecosystem that Google hopes will eventually offer thousands of modules and the infinite opportunity for exterior modifications, configuring an Ara phone will involve a lot of decisions.
Read more: Project Ara: Inside Google's Modular Smartphone | TIME.com http://techland.time.com/2014/02/26/google-project-ara-modular-smartphone/#ixzz2v49AcHi1
Infinite opportunity for exterior modifications might make Sam's head explode. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Well, lets look at this as if it becomes a success. Who is that good for?For google for sure, anyone using Android as opposed to other OS is best. Tho they still make money from services and ads.Not the carriers. This tech has the potential to REALLY screw up the subsidized market. If you keep upgrading components what do you need a contract for?Not Samsung. But maybe Samsung too. This gives EVERYONE a chance to reset and see who can make the best individual components. Or THE LEAST EXPENSIVE. Or weirdest. Or coolest. Samsung might do well with components but it opens the door.What consumers benefit? Scoble and his ilk of 'give me the newest weirdest stuff even if its partly broken'. Consumers looking for cheap upgrades of dubious benefit when not taken as a whole system. Average consumers will be bewildered and will buy the best group of stuff that works together and wonder why. Drivers -could- be an issue. Malware vectors -could- be an issue. Maybe it will be drop in and forget it unicorns and icecream. I remain skeptical but it could happen.Ultimately I don't see the real benefit for consumers unless you are already in the mega-tweaker mindset already... And that's a pretty small market.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What consumers benefit? Scoble and his ilk of 'give me the newest weirdest stuff even if its partly broken'. Consumers looking for cheap upgrades of dubious benefit when not taken as a whole system. Average consumers will be bewildered and will buy the best group of stuff that works together and wonder why.
Yep. People no longer build custom PCs nor do they upgrade them. Everyone is buying laptops. Cars, the same. I don't see modular phones being more than a trivial niche.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
Yep. People no longer build custom PCs nor do they upgrade them.
I built one, and upgraded it not long ago with an additional hard drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks