1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Google Stadia

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sam Posten, Mar 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Will it live long enough to be used by anyone?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/googles-constant-product-shutdowns-are-damaging-its-brand/

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Honestly, I think Stadia is most compelling in two ways:

1 - To play any game on any device anywhere
    2 - For custom-made massive online experiences

Unfortunately, number 2 has zero value for me personally and number 1 doesn't matter if the game isn't good. I like Mario, I like Final Fantasy, I like Uncharted...and I don't see those ending up on Stadia. Or, if they do (like Final Fantasy could), I would most likely still want to own a PlayStation or Nintendo system and they'd be on that, too.

I've come to realize that there are only 2 ways to launch a successful product in an existing market. First method: be ready to fail for a whole generation and spend a billion dollars (Microsoft's Xbox strategy, which in the long run was profitable but not nearly as big as they wanted). Second method: launch a new product under a pre-existing brand (the Nintendo Switch strategy, since tablet gaming and even removable controls already existed but the product concept only took off when it had Zelda and Mario on it). Like Dave brought up, Stadia might very well fail and be shelved before the Xbox strategy could work. And I doubt Google will successfully pull off the whole thing with any high-quality exclusive IP for the second strategy.

4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Dead on arrival

upload_2019-11-18_23-23-47.

Steve Y likes this.
  5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

For what it's worth, I don't have a data cap on my internet and I refuse to pay more than $150 for a phone (and even at that price I'm not happy about it). So the argument from Adam Conover is a bit off for someone like me (though I admit there aren't many like me).

I think the bigger problem with Stadia is that anyone who wants to play games already has a better method of doing so, the price of the whole thing is not that competitive right now, the selection of games (at full price PLUS a subscription fee?) is not too attractive, and the reliance on good internet is problematic. I could see it being an excellent service for someone who wants to get into their free-to-play MMO while they take the bus to work but I don't see anyone playing like competitive Mortal Kombat or Call of Duty on it.

6. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

Although I think game streaming is the future (for better and worse), I think this service is far ahead of the infrastructure (or the consumer needs) required for it to succeed. Can't wait to try it myself, though.

I think any language of "launch" is there to drive enthusiasm for early adopters. The subscription fee is a way for them to hedge their bets; it helps subsidize (probably very little of) what is essentially a public beta. Next year, expect to see more "free" games included with the subscription fee. Also note that many of the early adopters are tech enthusiasts who are still getting a much better experience with local hardware, so the "meh" reviews aren't driving enthusiasm to a market that didn't ask for cloud gaming in the first place. Google, as it's done many times before, is solving a problem that doesn't really exist yet.

PS Now has upped its game recently, seemingly in response to Microsoft's too-good-to-be-true Game Pass service. With decent internet, Sony's PS Now streaming is VERY passable, since it inherits tech that has been around a lot longer than PS Now. From a technical perspective, Microsoft's Azure/Xcloud ventures promise to be even more impressive.

Lastly, the Stadia Games and Entertainment studio in Montreal is still in its early days of development, so I wouldn't expect to see many "big" games that take advantage of cloud computing. Not anytime soon. That's still 100% hype.

7. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Cinematographer

I don't have any links or anything as it's something I heard in passing on a forum, but apparently Amazon is launching it's own streaming gaming service next year.

8. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

A friend of mine got the Stadia controller and bought into it around a month ago. He seems to be having a lot of fun with it but I think his expectations were kind of low (he used some "extra" gift money from Christmas to buy in so he doesn't feel like he's really lost any money on it).

There's a lot of rumors coming out right now because of the PS5 and XBSX, including some stuff about Stadia regarding exclusive games and future plans. I expect Google is trying to find a way to counter-message whatever Sony and MS announce, so the radio silence is probably due to them waiting out the competition. I get why the players are upset but...isn't this whole situation basically why gaming culture has moved towards "never preorder, wait for reviews?"

10. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Cinematographer

Ha, Stadia had been completely erased from my memory until I saw this thread got a post. Then I realized I haven't heard a single peep about it in months. I guess I just assumed it was DOA.