Google goes public

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Lars Larsen, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Lars Larsen

Lars Larsen Stunt Coordinator

Lars Larsen
    First of all, I'm surprised that Google has a market value of around 36 billion dollars. That just seems ridiculous. How do they actually make money? Is it from the little banners on the right when you do a search? Would you buy Google stocks?
    To me it seems like another over inflated dot com bubble, altough the company IS turning a good profit at the moment.

What's your opinion? Please discuss...

2. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I like the fact that the IPO will be an auction so that the money goes to the company and not just the investment banks.

I'm interested in learning more about Google's infrastructure. I've read rumors that they have over 100,000 servers. (Where do they keep them all?!)

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Pop.

--
    H

4. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

No, you pay google to list your site first. I know because we have done it for our internet business. They aren't cheap either, it ran us $100-300 a month depending on click-through rates. If you don't pay google, you will likely end up on page 3-4 of the search results. Paying them, you end up on page 1.

They will make lots of money as they are already the 800 lb gorilla of search engines. But $36 bil? Don't know about that...

5. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I suppose so. And I've seen ads on other sites say "ad brought to you by Google." Plus it is the most popular search engine. After doing some reading when they originally announced this a couple months ago, I don't think this is an internet bubble stock situation. In fact, they have been debating wether or not they should even become public, which is why they're so freakin' big and have stayed private for so long.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Well, Yahoo went public a few years ago when they were the biggest search engine on the 'net. The price shot through the roof for awhile, then came crashing down with the rest of the tech stocks.

Google's business model may be different, but I would still be wary based on Yahoo's market history.

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I read the subject line as "pubic". Maybe this is another kick in the crotch for the poor investors? [​IMG]

8. Lars Larsen

Lars Larsen Stunt Coordinator

Lars Larsen
    The danger is that Google is extremely well known and run a very effective service, but being well known and offering a popular free service does not necessarily make you valuable. Quite often investors do not make that distinction, it seems.
    I see the analogy with Yahoo, but since Yahoo offers a wider range of services, they should have even better opportunities than Google, in developing a healthy business, one should think. I mean what is Google...it's just a search engine, that's all it is.

9. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

Wrong. You cannot pay google to get your site ranked higher. Several of my pages are ranked number one and many more are in the top ten (first page) and I haven't paid a dime. You were paying for the "sponsored link" that appears on the right of the search results, and you pay depending on how many people click the link.

Google probably makes the bulk of their money by licensing out there search engine technology to other companies. They also have a couple things for businesses.

10. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

You used to be able to pay Google for inclusion but never for placement. You can't even pay for inclusion anymore. Google's valuation will be in-line with Yahoo's ... both pulled in $1.35 and $1.59 billion respectively in the first six months of the year. They have been profitable for several years now so I don't see a problem with their IPO. Yahoo bought Overture to compete with Google so it's really Yahoo who is playing catch-up to Google's model.

11. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Hey if you Google "flufferdoodle" the first hit discusses the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin.....

12. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Yep. I see it as a risky stock. You're betting on Google always being the number 1 search engine.

13. Stevan Lay

Stevan Lay Second Unit

The Google IPO goes on sale or "auction" today - Friday 13th of all days [​IMG]

Anyone gonna get a piece of the action? Fortunately, I'm not qualified but will look into it after the hoopla subsides [​IMG]

Personally, it seems overpriced (moreso considering the recent tech downturn on the NASDAQ). But that's just my opinion - one of many millions that is either for or against the stock.

14. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Part of the reason that it will be so overpriced, is that the float for the stock is reported, I think, to be