1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Google Earth anomolies-twin airfields in Nevada

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Paul Padilla, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

OK, I'm not going down the Area 51 route and I understand that stitching together satellite photos can cause some odd effects and duplications, but I came across something odd in southern Nevada. Two, identical airfields, maybe a mile apart.

[​IMG]

There are a couple of protrusions that differ, so it wouldn't appear to be a simple double image...other than that they're essentially identical. The lower one has quite a number of aircraft scattered around and I thought it might be that airplane graveyard I've heard of. Anybody know what these are?

(The forum software resized the image so it's hard to see the pointer info. The coordinates are 37X23X43.81" N by 116X49X32.78" west.)

2. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

Just a glich in the Matrix...

3. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Bryan
    That's the top secret Area 52.

4. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

And 53? [​IMG]

5. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Henry Gale
    Paul,
    There's no reason to be conceaned about that, or the impending knock on your door. [​IMG]

6. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    The large aircraft graveyards that I am aware of are in Tucson, AZ.

That is pretty peculiar...

7. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

My copy of google earth has Tolicha Peak marked

I would imagine that the base to the north is similar.

They didn't quite look like airfields to me--perhaps I'm not trained for this sort of analysis.

8. AllMetalWeaver

AllMetalWeaver Auditioning

Jon
    I looked at the sites, and neither appears to be paved at all. It looks like someone graded those sites so that from the air they look like airfields. Also, if you check the altitude of the ends of the runways you'll notice that the north one has quite a bit of variation to it, while some variation is okay, a hundred feet isn't real conducive to aircraft. And lastly, this place is nowhere near Area 51, but it probably is used by my friends at Nellis for Green and Red flag exercises.

9. betooz

betooz Agent

Chris
    Last but not least, you do realize that it is a military base right?

10. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

If you want to train pilots to bomb airfields, the most effective means might well be to build a fake airfield. The whole area is a bombing range--it's full of strange targets.

There's what seems to be a fake city at 37°24'59.93"N, 116°51'35.92"W

11. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

12. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Now post some google-earth pictures of the Nevada bomb craters.

13. Fred333

Fred333 Agent

Fred
    I think I came across a blog or website that has a list of all the anomlies in Google Earth. I forget what it is though.

14. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

an urban mock target?
    [​IMG]

two nuclear tests.
    [​IMG]

15. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Executive Producer

Dennis
    In Idaho people don't worry much about such things. In order to get to the BLM scenic overlook for the Bruneau Canyon, you have to drive across Saylor Creek AF Bombing Range. A small sign on the gravel road gives a laconic warning: "Warning - objects may fall from aircraft". [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Indian Springs / Creech AFB ?

Used for Predator (unmanned aircraft)

Possibly?

There are a ton of military ranges in the Nevada/SoCal desert areas...

17. andrew markworthy

At least you guys have some room to hold military exercises relatively far removed from civilisation (apologies, residents of Nevada, but you know what I mean). Here in Europe, things are a little more cramped. This leads to the occasional slight mishap. E.g.:

(1) the military exercises where an elite squad of NATO troops decided they didn't like the rations they'd been given on some exercise or other and so strolled off the 'battlefield' into a local restaurant for their dinner.

(2) the military exercise where a squad of British Army troops staged a beach landing to surprise the enemy. It surprised people all right - the sunbathing holidaymakers scattered before them [the commander had misread the map and should have 'invaded' the beach a couple of miles to the east].

I have a couple of friends who were in the army and the tales of this sort of mishap are legion.

Back on to the main topic of this thread - neat pictures, guys. If anyone has any close-ups of Area 51, particularly of aliens, do let me know. I'd like to look at the facial features to see if there are familial similarities to at least one of my work colleagues.

18. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Bryan

We've discovered aliens like to barbeque. Here's a picture from our last family outing near Roswell.

[​IMG]

19. andrew markworthy

LOL

I'll see if I can dig out a photo of similar ilk. It's an innocent enough picture of a friend of mine and his family with their pet dog (a black labrador). Because of a bizarre mishap with exposure and flash, the family look normal, but the dog is pitch black with red staring eyes and gleaming, unnaturally white teeth. It's like this nice normal white middle class family, and their dog, Zoltan, Hound of Dracula.

20. Don Solosan

Don Solosan Supporting Actor

"And lastly, this place is nowhere near Area 51, but it probably is used by my friends at Nellis for Green and Red flag exercises."

When I was in the Navy, our Air Wing spent a week at Nellis. They had fake targets (like unsurfaced runways and dirt revetments and whatnot) out in the desert that the bombers would hit. I was in a reconnaissance squadron, and we would photograph the area before and after. It was my job to compare the two, and tell the bombers how well they had done.