Goofy question: How do I completely shut down my PC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alf S, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    ...By this I mean that since I upgraded my PC (new HD) and added Windows 2000, the shutdown I was used to w/ W-98 doesn't happen with 2000.

When I click START-SHUTDOWN, the pc says "saveing settings" then says "It's safe to shut off the PC" and I hear the hard drives shut down, but the power still stays on forcing me to click the power button to completely power off.

How do I get it to COMPLETELY shut down via the start/shutdown method mentioned above?

Thanks in advance

Alf

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Contact your manufacturer, there's probably some driver

3. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

Sounds like you need a BIOS update for your motherboard. Windows 2000 uses a newer, more advanced form of power management called ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Management). If your PC has it, Windows will turn off your PC after a shutdown.

Unfortunately, even if you have a BIOS update available, I believe you need to reinstall Windows to enable ACPI management after applying the update.

4. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Yeah, I'd say it's a BIOS thing, otherwise your mobo might not support it? I know our old K6-2 doesn't do it, but we never minded. [​IMG]

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Somebody else asked about this recently, so I'll just paste in my answer from that thread:
    -------------

What has happened is that W2K has installed in 'Standard PC' mode rather than the usual 'ACPI' mode. You'll probably notice that you don't have the options to Hibernate or Standby either.

W2K will by default install in ACPI mode so there must be something about your hardware setup (i.e. BIOS setting) that has forced it into Standard PC.

Unless you miss the Standby mode, it's nothing to lose sleep over. I actually force-install mine in Standard PC mode becasue I find I get less problems with my soundcard that way.

To get 'round the shutdown issue:

Go to Device Manager (right click My Computer, Properties, Hardware, Device Manager).

Once it's open, double-click on 'Computer' (top entry) - does it read 'Standrd PC'?

OK, click on View on the toolbar and enable 'Show Hidden Devices'. You'll now see some new Device entries

Go down and open up NT Apm/Legacy Support. Right click on the subentry NT/Apm/Legacy Interface Node and select enable.

You should now find that your shutdown works as required.

---------------

Rob

6. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

7. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    Ditto here! Thanks Rob!

Works great now.

Alf