Goodtimes DVD of "The Bat"--?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Peavy, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

The film from the 50's with Vincent Price and Agnes Moorehead. Has anybody got/seen this disc? It's presented in widescreen (at 1.85 to 1), and has a Dolby Digital soundtrack; it looks kinda' nice. Any opinions?

2. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Jim, I had this disc, and the transfer is pretty decent.

3. Jim Peavy

Thanks, Dick. I saw it for, like, $5.99 up at Best Buy and was curious. Never seen the movie, but I love classic horror.

BTW, where are you in Maine? Beautiful state; my sister is in Augusta.

4. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Personally, I would suggest checking out the Roan edition, which couples The Bat with The House on Haunted Hill. I'm not saying the Goodtimes disc is bad (never seen it), but I know the Roan version is quite good, and I was stunned by the transfer on House. I, as well as several people, have had trouble in the past ordering from Troma (who distributes Roan dvds) but my last order went like clockwork, so maybe all their quality control posturing a while back was sincere. If you want to give it a shot, they have all their Roan dvds cheap, at 4.99 each (except the 2-disc and triple feature sets). Their shipping sucks, but if you get enough dvds, it's worth it. They have several old poverty row horror selections, and Roan is known for having fine transfers. Hell, I got 'em all, and I think they're great. At the very least, get the White Zombie disc. In-freaking-credible.
    Am I gushing here? Okay, that's enough - go see for yourself. [​IMG]
    www.troma.com

5. Jim Peavy

How does it compare to Warner's HoHH disc?
    Yeah, got the White Zombie disc a while back and it is quite nice. Been meaning to check the Troma site out for the Roan stuff; thanks for the link!
    Is it true the Roan discs are being discontinued?

6. Steve jc

Steve jc Agent

The Roan discs are becoming harder to find. Not sure if Troma will discontinue or not, but the Roan versions of both "White Zombie" and "The Bat/House on Haunted Hill" are still available from Columbiahouse.

7. Ben Motley

Ya know Jim, I've never watched the Warner HoHH. I always seem to forget they did one. That might make a fun evening, comparing the two.
    I personally haven't heard anything about Roan being discontinued, but I wouldn't rule it out. The last word I heard was that Carry Roan still did the work while Troma distributed, but that was a year or so ago. But even with that "good news", I was suspicious of Troma, and remarked how Troma would be the death of Roan when I first heard they'd acquired the rights. Their marketing and distribution on these titles has sucked since the day they got them. The only good thing is that they often offer them for cheap on their site, and it looks like the cheap prices are the norm now, and not just a sale. It may just be a revolutionary price point, or it may point to worse things.
    Case in point, this telling observation; Last year Troma released several new Roan titles (The Painted Hills, Jack and the Beanstalk/Africa Screams {Abbot & Costello}, Borderline, Svengali, Dementia 13, Behind Office Doors, Bowery at Midnight, The Lonely Wives, Strange Illusion, and A Very Classic Christmas), but have yet to release a single title this year, so it doesn't look good from that angle. However, Image does list a new Roan on the horizon; Zulu with Michael Caine, and a new Roy Rogers disc, Heldorado/In Old Cheyenne due, both due 11/19.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Look good, don't they? Well, maybe not, if you're not into Westerns and period epics. I'm just a Roan junkie though, so they look great to me, especially with such a draught of a year.
    And for what it's worth, fortunately Image's website lists most all of the Roans as "Active", so, if Image is correct, then at least for now Roan hasn't been discontinued.

8. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Jim - I live in Waterville, 17 miles north of Augusta. The version of THE BAT that I owned was a separate disc with a 1.66:1 ratio, purchased in a packet with another separate disc, the full-frame HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL. I don't know who the distributor was. It was definately NOT a double-feature-on-one-disc (Roan), so I must suppose it was Goodtimes...? Anyway, what I had looked pretty good.

9. Jim Peavy

That's probably the one, though I think it said 1.85:1 on the sleeve(?). No doubt worth a $5.99 "risk", huh? BTW, I've never seen it; is it even any good?

10. Ben Motley

Jim, the Roan dvd does have the widescreen version of HoHH. There are absolutely no extras, not even a main menu, let alone an open matte presentation. I watched it last night, refamiliarizing myself with it to give you a better description. The transfer is beautiful, with fine contrast and crisp detail. Castle's composition makes me think "horror noir", and in noir we all know how important contrast is in a transfer... the Roan dvd delivers. The print however was a bit dirty, with specks flying through pretty much the length of the movie, but the amount is light to moderate, and I didn't find it distracting at all. So, a great transfer that the print could have been cleaned up a bit, but selling unpopular, cult dvds for $5 a pop probably doesn't make Roan enough money to restore every movie like White Zombie.
    And yep, the Roan Svengali stars John Barrymore. [​IMG]
    Do I like Roan? Oh yes, I do like Roan. [​IMG]