Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Review Thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by Brian L, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

OK, I'll start, since to my surprise there was no other thread started. Consider these initial impressions, subject to revision[​IMG]

Bought it today, and listened to most of the MC mix. Good, but not great, IMHO.

Strangely enough, there are tracks on this disc that seem very bright to me ears, and the bass lacks definition (pretty much all of disc 1, really). But then some of it sounds pretty good (most of disc 2).

In fact, I was mildly disappointed with disc 1, but then when I cued up disc 2, I thought, how the hell come this sounds so much better...smoother highs, nicely weighted bass. Hummm. I guess that all could simply be due to the original recording quality...or not.

The surrounds are pretty busy, and the level is higher than what I may prefer. I am not opposed to active surrounds, but it seems like they are frequently equal in level to the fronts. Sometimes that works, sometime not.

The opening track, Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding, starts out with some very unpleasant sounding synth work, very harsh and strident (which is perhaps how they are SUPPOSED to sound). Then when LLB kicks in, the guitars sound pretty bright, and the bass just never takes on the body or weight I was expecting to hear. The rest of disc 1 is more of the same.

Disc two, however, sounds much more balanced throughout the frequency range. Very odd.

I tend to like the rockers, and GBYBR does not disappoint. All the Young Girls Love Alice kicks off with the main guitar signature lick completely in the rear channels, and it pretty much stays there.

Saturday Nights Alright for Fighting places the main riff in the four corners....that seems to work much better than "Alice". And the kick drum has very nice heft to it.

But again, the bass is just not what I was hoping for. For reference, consider a few other recordings from the same general period. I would say that the bass on Yes/Fragile, or Hotel California, or Chicago II, has much better definition and weight.

I suppose that would really be a function of the original recording, and I would have to say that, although the music is great, GBYBR is NOT a sonic masterpiece.

I suppose some may notice that the titles I just sighted are all DVD-A, while GBYBR is SACD. That may have something to do with it to, but I don't know.

Side note: I bought the copy with the free "Making of" DVD. Have not watched it yet.

Well, thats all I have to say at the moment. I look forward to reading other impressions.

BGL

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

OK, there is another thread. Dohhhh. Totally missed in when I searched.

If a moderator looks in on this, feel free to move my post to the other thread, or those to this one.

Dang...I hate it when that happens!

BGL