Goodbye "Felicity"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kong Chang, May 23, 2002.

1. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

I watched the 2 hour series finale yesterday, and I must say, after 4 years on the WB, "Felicity" has been one of my favorite dramas to ever watch each year it was on. Of course, when I heard it was going to close out this year, I was deeply sadden, because the writing and the characterization is extremely well done. The characters are so realistic, you almost can feel for them and relate in a certain way. Naturally, since the beginning, I was rooting for Felicity to be with Noel...but in the end, it was good that she is with Ben because we get to see a softer side of Ben in the finale that we have never seen before.

In a way, I was almost in tears when the show was over, and clapped my final clap for "Felicity".

I know most people on this forum probably don't watch it since I really don't see much mention about it, but for those who do watch this series, what are your opinions on the series finale?

Now the series is over, it will be syndicated on "The Women's Entertainment Network" (or known as "WE"...it's a new cable channel...and my provider doesn't have any info on this yet...so I'm not sure) in the Fall of 2002. I was hoping Disney/Touchstone would release the series onto DVD instead because most of us don't have the capability to watch syndication. I would definitely buy the DVD series if they were released.

2. BrandonM

BrandonM Stunt Coordinator

I really enjoyed the finale, but can someone explain to me why Elena was alive at the end? She died before Felicity went back in time and was part of the reason Felicity and Ben grew distant. Thus, why was she alive when Felicity "woke up"?

Another thing that always bothered me about Felicity was how little Richard was used. I thought he was by far the funniest character, but he never got to become a regular on the show. That said, I'm definitely going to miss watching the show each week.

3. PhilipW

PhilipW Second Unit

My wife and I noticed the Elena being there as well. If you notice while the toast is going on that only the main cast members are actually sitting at the table. I think it was more of a good-bye scene then anything else. Noel's wife wasn't even in the scene and it was her wedding.

4. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

I watched the first season or two pretty regularly, but not the last few (too much TV as it is). But I caught the finale, and it was fun.

As for Elena, there are two time-honored (and occasionally reviled) explanations:

1. "It was all a dream". It wasn't clear (to me) when Felicity jumped back; whether it was the beginning of the episode or earlier. Since Elena died recently (as I read in an article) that could be part of the dream too. Of course, then in her dream, both she and Noel get killed; why wouldn't she want to go back to the future earlier. So this seems less likely than:

2. "Alternate reality". One way for time travel to work (in Hollywood) is to jump to an alternate timeline. You don't actually change the future; the traveller lives through a different version. So here we have at least three. Future Felicity starts in a timeline where everyone is alive, and Noel is getting married to Zoe. She jumps back in time, but into another alternate one where Elena is also alive (which of course seems normal to her), but Noel dies. Felicity jumps back to her original timeline, or a fourth one. In the main timeline, Elena died, and we don't know what happens to Noel.

//Ken

5. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

I watched it for the first time last night on recommendation from a friend. It was much better than I had anticipated - though what a time to come into a series. Everything seemed to be touched upon however and made it easy for me (and other 1st-time viewers) to follow. I really can't say that I related to any of the characters because I haven't seen it but I'd probably be willing to give it a chance in syndication.
    It gets a definite [​IMG]

6. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

I noticed that too with Elena. I thought she died when Felicity came back after a year from graduation. Elena died 6 months after graduation during a car accident when she attended Columbia U. Everyone important attended her funeral. So, when Felicity timed trip back to her past (which is more like 1.5~2 years from the day of Noel & Zoe's marriage), she was so excited to see Elena alive.

So, I wonder, if the magic guy in the 2nd half of the finale, gave her an alternate universe, in which everything did happen to her, but in which Elena did not die and has been with Tracy for awhile (as you can tell, it looks like they have been). It's an interesting analysis of the situation.

All I can say is that I'll miss it...I really want it more on DVD than watch it on syndication. Gosh I am gonna miss the good ole days when Felicity was still choosing between Ben & Noel.

7. Dave Ringkor

Dave Ringkor Stunt Coordinator

I missed the first season of the show, so it was nice to see clips from that era. A couple of those old scenes have been in the intro for some time now, like Noel surprising Felicity when she was on the telephone in her nightie, and the Christmas tree on fire. As far as Elena being alive, I think that her death was part of Felicity's dream. When Felicity woke up at the end of the finale, she was still in New York and she and Ben hadn't gone to Palo Alto yet and he hadn't cheated. Or maybe they had and he had. What was he apologizing for?

8. PhilipW

PhilipW Second Unit

He had cheated. That's what he was apoligizing for. I read that the episode when she left New York and went to college back in Cal. was supposed to be the final episode but WB said they wanted 5 more shows. Instead of trying to drag the show out they came up with the time travel bit. I still think the Elena thing was a screw up, unless it is an alternate timeline thing where the only change was her death.

9. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Huh what? Time Travel? Alternate realities? Ah say, what the Sam Hill are you talkin' about? Maybe I would have watched this show if I knew all that was goin on! I saw maybe the first 3 or 4 shows and that was enough for me.

I remember one of the early shows where she gets a refridgerator in her room and she's staring at it like it's a great sign of independance! Ugh, I knew girls like this in real life, and I didn't want to revisit that every week.

Though now you've piqued (sp?) my interesr a bit. Can anyone expalin to me what you are talking about? I thought the only plot line of the show was whether she was gonna end up with Ben or Noel. Uh, did she end up with either?

-Ric

10. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

You spelled "piqued" right, but you got "interest" wrong [​IMG]
    Sorry, but the time travel bit was only for the finale. Your initial assessment was more correct: the show was primarily about Ben v. Noel.
    //Ken

11. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

So uh, what was the time travel thing bout and who did she end up with?

-Ric

12. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Wish I could say that i'm sad to see it go, but i'm not unfortunatly.
    Someone explain to me how this happened... 'Buffy' was on the air for 3 or 4 seasons with Sarah Michelle Gellar turning in stellar performances time after time after time, AND THEN this Kerri Russel girl comes out of nowhere and beats out Sarah for an Emmy for her FIRST season of 'Felcity'!? [​IMG]
    Ever since i've carried a grudge for that show, she did not deserve that Emmy.

13. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Eh, well, I've only seen one show so I'm definitely not a good judge there John. However, I will say that Ms. Gellar deserves recognition of her work on B:tVS. She has really shown impresive range as an actress.
    Now, back to your regularly-scheduled Felicity thread...[​IMG]

14. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

15. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

NOTE: According to the summary at the official show site, there was supposed to be a scene in which Felicity tried to prevent Elena's accident by telling her to attend medical school at Duke instead of Columbia. Although this still technically should not have worked because the new spell erased all of Felicity's time travel experiences, it would have at least proved that Felicity was trying to save her--and might have been explained as a rip in the space/time continuum, something that Meghan discussed in one of the earlier shows. Elena's sudden appearance at the wedding was probably meant as proof that Felicity hadn't dreamed the whole thing, but this would have worked better with the missing scene.
    from - http://www.epguides.com/menu/