1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Goodbye dropbox, you were cool while it lasted

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Sam Posten, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Are they going to limit free access to only two devices? That was the rumor that I had heard.

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Currently I’m confused about the Dropbox hubbub. When I look at it on my Mac, it looks like it always did. Checking Activity Monitor, it’s not consuming CPU or RAM.

Is this a new version not yet released that people are talking about?

I use DB a little for easy cross device cloud storage. As of the moment, it works better than iCloud for simple file storage and sharing between iMac and iPad for me. (That’s a sad indictment on Apple’s abilities, which reportedly is improving with 2019 OS releases.)

But DB becomes a disaster, I can let go pretty easily. I only use then free version.

4. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

Yeah, I'm in the process right now of backing up everything I have on Dropbox. I already canceled my yearly renewal that was to happen next week because of the cost. I'm in the same boat as many others: I have too much that I'd like to sync for the free version, but far from enough to make the annual cost worth it. The news that their new client is memory-hogging bloatware just seals the deal. Not sure what I'll find for an alternative, but I'm on the hunt.

5. Message #5 of 8 Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

My problem (as usual) is that Apple hasn’t (yet, we hope) expanded iCloud to allow random data distribution with people not sharing your account.

It *almost* exists - Photos Sharing allows you to share both photos and videos (including to people who don’t have Apple products), but limits the total to 200 sharing albums, (which is why I got into Flickr years ago, back then the limit was even worst at 100). Lifting the 200 limit from photo/video sharing; lifting the 2TB limit on iCloud (yes, obviously they can charge more); allowing other kinds of files in sharing.

While they are at it, after lifting the 2TB limit, offer the TimeCapsule type backup/restore via iCloud

Dropbox gone

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    That would be interesting. I pay about $10/mo for two BackBlaze accounts for online backups. At $10/mo for the 2TB iCloud account, I could maybe have enough room for my current BackBlaze backups and still have the same or more storage as I have now on the 200GB iCloud family plan. It's not obvious it would work as well or simply as having separate services for "iCloud" stuff and "backup" stuff. But maybe?

Ted Todorov likes this.
  7. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

I was just listening to ATP, macOS Catalina & iOS 13 will in fact have a shared iCloud folder, which can entirely replace Dropbox

8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I saw some stuff about the shared folder coming this Fall. I’m not sure that will matter to me. I mainly need iCloud and Files to be better in supporting hierarchies and not so rigorously based on “apps” as a fundamental organizing principle.

I wish there was a “Preview” app for iOS. iBooks kinda sucks. It’s not an awesome document viewer and it’s been lousy at iCloud syncing for a couple of years.

DropBox’s built in PDF reader tends to work better for me than iCloud + Files + iBooks. So I don’t know if the iCloud updates will be enough for me without improved document reading apps too.