What's new

Goodbye BIC, hello JBL. (1 Viewer)

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
Well, after a lot of looking around I think I'm about to order some JBL E10's for the rear and E30's for my new fronts. For a good while I was actually set on ordering BIC America Venturi DV62si's for fronts and rears. I really thought that's what I was going to get because I didn't think there was anything else decent in my price range. Also, I kind of have an aversion to mass market stuff that's sold in big box stores...I don't know..I just like stuff that's different I guess. However, I've always liked the sound of JBL's. I'm a musician and every time I play a gig where they have a good set of JBL PA speakers it always sparks some confidence in what the sound quality will be like. I honestly just didn't think that JBL had anything in my price range (which at the moment is very low). That's because I had been looking at stores like Best Buy where JBL equipment is WAY overpriced. Well, I found BH Photo Video where I can get a pair of E10's and a pair of E30's for $260 shipped and I'm so there. I already have a BIC 62CLRs center channel and I hope that will sound OK with the JBL's - the BIC CC has an efficiency of 90 dbs and the E10's and E30's are 86 and 88dbs respectively. If it doesn't blend then oh well...I guess I'll just have to order a Northridge series center channel too!

What do ya'll think about E30's for fronts and E10's for rears? I was going to get the E20's for fronts but the rear porting deterred me because I'll have them right up at the wall and the E30's only put me 10 bucks over budget...which I can mangage.

One more question, has anyone ever heard the BIC 62 bookshelves that can compare them to the Northridge E30 bookshelves? I was just going to order the BICs based on my positive assessment of the center channel and good word of mouth but I'd like to hear informed comparisons. My speakers will be used for 80% movie watching.

brad cook

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
I have stated before that to me, the E30s sound GREAT!
I have not listened to the E10s enough to comment.
I just got JBLs all around, myself.

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
Cool, Cam. I wish I was currently visiting my parents in Conroe so I could come force my way into your house and listen to some E30's in a setting not resembling Best Buy. :)

brad cook

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator
Brad:

That's a great price for those speakers. Like www.jr.com , who sells them for the same price, www.bhphotovideo.com is a authorized JBL dealer.

Enjoy your new speakers! You may want to throw in a EC25 ($129) center and a E150P ($199) sometime in the future to complete your setup. I really love my JBLs, I'm sure you will too!

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, the only problem is that I just recently bought my BIC center channel so I'd have to sell that. I'm not looking forward to the hassle of selling and packing and whatnot. I already have the Dayton Audio 10" sub which I'm VERY satisfied with. I'll probably keep that for several years before I upgrade. Who knows I might even end up buying a second one to compliment it.

brad cook

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator

J & R didn't seem to have them in any color but black. I wanted a wood color so I ordered the cherry from bh. I actually found several websites that had similar prices but I believe only BH and J&R were the only authorized dealers with these prices. Actually I found one website that has the E20's for $10 cheaper than both of the aforementioned sites. They were the same on the E10's and E30's though.

brad cook

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
I was just looking at the tracking info for the JBLs from BH Photo. One of them shows Maspeth, NY as the origin while another shows New York, NY as the origin. Why would two sets of speakers from the same dealer and same manufacturer ordered at the same time have different origins?

The internet is awesome for ordering things but I hate the waiting..

brad cook

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Don't worry about J&R. Great service and great products. Good customer service as well.

If you are interested Deal-Stop has the EC35 for 139 right now! The MSRP is $350!! I bought one last month from them for $149. Perfect shape and a good transaction as well.

At this price it is hard to pass up. It would match your 30's and is a 3 way center. Weighs 22 pounds.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't worry about the multiple shipping sources, probably just comming from different warehouses.

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator

That's cool but I didn't buy from J&R. I bought from B&H, another authorized dealer. They had identical prices and both had free shipping but J&R only had the speakers in black and I wanted them in cherry.

Thanks for the Deal Stop Tip. That's a bit cheaper than other places I've seen. I'm thinking about selling my BIC center channel to a friend and buying the EC35 or EC25. I'll have to see how the BIC sounds with the JBLs.

brad cook

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
If you decide to get a JBL center, definately spend the extra $20 on the EC35. I had an N center which was essentially the same as the EC25 except for the composite vs. wood speaker box. The EC35 has a better sound, less resonance(compared to the N), and the 3 way delivers a more realistic sound. Can't quite describe the sound difference but it also seemd to have a higher power handling ability.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks