What's new

Good WWII DVDs for history? (1 Viewer)

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
We are beginning the WWII unit in history class and the teacher said that we would be watching some movies. He announced that we would watch Saving Private Ryan and I was elated. Then he said we would also watch Pearl Harbor. I have nothing against Pearl Harbor, but it is less an entertaining account of history and more "a Japanese attack on an American love triangle." Can you recommend WWII movies on DVD that are interesting and are historically accurate?

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Patton is a good biographical film about one the important figures in WWII.

Schindler's List and Grave of the Fireflies are good example of showing how innocent people suffered during the war.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Can you recommend WWII movies on DVD that are interesting and are historically accurate?
If you are looking for historical accuracy, Pearl Harbor might not be the best choice.

Patton and Schindler's List are good choices, although I don't consider Schindler's List to be a true World War II film.

You might also want to try a few episodes of Band of Brothers, particularly part 2.

The Longest Day is another good one.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
The first that comes to mind is Band of Brothers. Unfortunately it is not a movie, it is a 10 hour mini series. That may rule it out for your class. Patton would be a good choice I suppose. The best way to go would be to skip Pearl Harbor and Saving Private Ryan and just watch Band of Brothers.

I have to say though, the idea of Pearl Harbor being screened in a history class is nearly unbelievable. The movie contains many (or maybe a better word would be mostly) factual inaccuracies. Tora Tora Tora would be a better choice for that subject.

-Keith

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
I don't know how true to life these are.

When Trumpets Fade
Enemy at the Gates
Das Boot
U-571

I'm sure they are better them Pearl Harbor.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
U-571

I'm sure they are better them Pearl Harbor.
------------------------------------------------------------

Not this one. Its even more factually incorrect than Pearl Harbor.

STALINGRAD would probably be a good choice.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Das Boot is based off a true account

Enemy at the Gates takes AMAZING liberties. Try "Stalingrad" instead

U-571 is actually WORSE than Pearl Harbor, because at least PH got the nationalities right. Utter Rah-rah tripe having the US take credit for something England did

Try "Tora Tora Tora". THAT movie goes out of its way for accuracy

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It most likely takes dramatic liberties (most movies do), but

THE GREAT ESCAPE

might be a good choice. It depicts a true event from WWII.

I know for sure this one does take liberties, but it is still a good film. A must watch for anyone interested in WWII. And the winner is....

THE BRIDGE OVER THE RIVER KWAI

An excellent one to watch as a primer for how not to execute a military plan, is:

A BRIDGE TOO FAR

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Damn, just thought of another one

THE DAM BUSTERS

Unfortunately, it hasn't been released on DVD yet.

John^Lal

Stunt Coordinator
Thin Red Line...not a good historical War Movie.
Tora! Tora! Tora! is definately a better choice than Pearl Harbor.

David Biggs

Agent
Certainly "Band of Brothers" although it's length might be a bit daunting. I'll second the "Tora! Tora! Tora!" nomination. How anyone who saw that movie could ever watch "Pearl Harbour" is beyond me.

Not as historically accurate but "Midway" comes to mind as well as "The Longest Day". One might watch episode 2 of "Band of Brothers" and "Saving Private Ryan" then switch to "The Longest Day" to see how movies have changed in the way they show the conflict.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to second Patton, one of my favorite films of all time

Bridge on the River Kwai is a fantastic movie, however it's no more fact than Johnny Tremain. It's historical fiction

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Bridge on the River Kwai is a fantastic movie, however it's no more fact than Johnny Tremain. It's historical fiction
------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, but that's the problem with using movies as a source of history. All of them to some degree or another are going to be "historical fiction" because liberties are taken to heighten dramatic tension. The instructor may be using the films as an entertaining way to introduce the subject. He/she might be using the films as jumping off points to contrast what is shown with what is actually known about a particular event.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
My point is that "Kwai" never actually happened. The story takes a historical situation and builds around it

Patton however is mostly based on fact

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well then I guess KWAI is a scratch. :) Although I still think it would be a worthwhile film to show in a history class. As long as it was put into context with the actual events that inspired it. It would make for a good demonstration on how movies can create distortions of actual history.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
Tora, Tora, Tora is an accurate depiction of Pearl Harbor, and Patton is also reasonably correct. Saving Private Ryan is a brilliant depiction of a portion of the D-Day assault - at the beginning - then wanders off into fiction. What your teacher should do is show the World at War series of documentaries, and your class might actually learn something.

Is he the football coach or is it basketball?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I recommend you check out the movie The Longest Day.
It is pretty good and a farily accurate depiction of the events leading up to D-Day from the Allied and German perspectives.

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
"The Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance" were miniseries that may be on DVD? They told a story weaved within the War's history.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks