What's new

Good Wireless set-up for my Parents' House?? (1 Viewer)

Phil_L

Second Unit
I want to set up my parents with wireless internet for their laptop. They've already got a cable internet set up on their desktop. I am looking for a router and a wireless card. The laptop is a compaq, Pentium 3, 1.7gig processor. I want to get something known for good range as their house is quite large and they'll probably be using the laptop all over. Would prefer not to spend more than $150 total. Also need something user friendly, as they are not tech heads. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance....

SethH

Senior HTF Member
First, go with the wireless "g" standard. You'll get good distance, higher speeds (mostly unnecessary), and better security. Look at Linksys and D-Link for routers as they tend to have the most user-friendly, relatively inexpensive units. Your best bet is probably Ebay for good prices. If you want things to go really smoothly get a card by the same manufacturer as the router. Not totally necessary, but could make your life simpler. And please, make sure to set up encryption on your wireless network.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks