What's new

Good universal player? (1 Viewer)

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
I'm looking for a good dvd-a/sacd player in the sub-$1000 range, preferably somewhere in the neighborhood of $500. Quality dvd playback is not a necessity, nor is dvd playback required, in fact.

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
I'm also looking for a good universal...but want top notch video quality & it must be a 5 disc changer!

chris_clem

Second Unit
I second Jim's vote. Check out the Denon 2200. You can find a long thread here discussing it. I'm still waiting to read some reviews on the thing before I buy it for myself. However, people here have generally praised it and have said that it's comparable to the more expensive Denon 2900.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
There aren't any players that have a better audio section at the expense of video?

Doug_B

Screenwriter
There aren't any players that have a better audio section at the expense of video?
Some of us who put audio at a premium have opted to get their player modified ("modded") to weigh the scales toward the audio end. I am currently awaiting the return of my player with such mods.

Doug

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Doug, which player are you getting modded; is it a universal player? What are you having done and who is doing it?

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
You could also save yourself a couple hundred dollars and pick up a Pioneer Elite DV45A, which is a good universal player as well. It definitely will get you in the door.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Doug, which player are you getting modded; is it a universal player? What are you having done and who is doing it?
Pioneer 47Ai - Universal Truth Mods by Dan Wright. One can save money on this front by getting one of the other mods offered, and get it for a less expensive player, such as the 45A. There are other mods for universal players, such as these Pioneers and the Denon 2900, that others provide and are a bit more expensive, likely outside the original poster's budget.

Doug

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
James, If you are seeking a universal player that emphasizes audio playback, you would do well to check out the Onkyo DV-SP800. The video section of this player is decent, but the audio is fantastic. Do a search in this forum and you'll read that audio quality for this player is first rate. It can be had for about $800 (Oade brothers website). Dave

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Are there any reviews of that new Marantz yet? I haven't been able to find any though I found a couple of sites that claimed to have them for sale.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Dave: Correct me if I'm wrong but, I thought bass management on the Onkyo DV-SP800 was an issue. Hence so many 2900 owners.

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't realize there was a universal player for which bass management is NOT an issue. I got a 2900 because of it's excellent overall value, features, and availability of audio mods. :)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Trevor, so there's no difference at all between the two(bass mgnt wise)?

Jim_Lan

Agent
I saw the new Marantz dv6400 at a dealer's on Wed. He was just hooking it up. List price is $600. He said he would probably be selling it for 540. Did not get chance to hear much and he was going to break it in for a few days. It DVD A and SACD but I don't know much more than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks