What's new

Good UFO documentaries on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Which are the best UFO documentaries on DVD? By 'best', I mean DVDs that contain the best footage and expert interviews and most importantly, offer an sensible and balanced view of the phenomena.

Can anyone be of help?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
If you are a college or university, you can get the documentary TOUCHED for only...stand by...$220 US. Course that includes the right to show it to classrooms rather than only in the privacy of your own home.

It is probably the best documentary about alien encounters*, but it doesn't go into ufos. It is by an Emmy nominated filmmaker whose previous film (on Tourette Syndrome) was shown on PBS.

Impressive roster of people in TOUCHED: Arnold Relman MD the former editor of the New England Journal of Medicine (no fan of aliens); John Mack MD the psychiatrist-turned-philosopher who believes people are encountering *something* from beyond our reality; Monsignor Corrado Balducci the former demonologist for the Vatican; British mythologian Patrick Harpur; and several so-called "experiencers" who share how they and their loved ones dealt (or didn't deal) with their experiences.

It is mainly different from other documentaries on the subject in that it really explores the people as people rather than focusing on the alien encounter subject itself. There's a statement by the filmmaker over here worth reading:

statement

The DVD version also has an extended outtake reel of attorney Alan Dershowitz, who as a fellow Harvard professor editorializes in defense of the study of "experiencers" by Mack or anyone else for that matter.

So far the website does not mention the DVD, but I know it is about to exist on DVD, as I made the cover art.

But again, it priced for academic use. And there's a neat Study Guide on that website too for students and teachers (see the left hand column near the top).

As for what is the SECOND BEST documentary on UFOs, that would be the BBC series Everyman, the episode "CONTACT." But it is not out on video in either the US or the UK... though I imagine it will be eventually -- the Everyman documentary series is an outstanding production of the BBC science and religion department, and their films deserve to be available. Again, like the TOUCHED film, it doesn't go into UFOs per se, but rather into alien encounters - people is the focus.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Will, that sounds great!

The website actually states that copies of the DVD for personal home use can be order via e-mail:

"ORDERING (INDIVIDUALS)
Individuals seeking to purchase Touched for their private home use please contact the filmmaker:
Laurel Chiten, Blind Dog Films
email: [email protected]
You will be sent a reply with special order information."

No mention of price. I sent an e-mail, though and hopefully the cost isn't to high.

Much appreciated; this was just what I was looking for!

Julie K

Screenwriter
I'd suggest an episode from the first season of Penn & Teller's Bullshit!, but that's probably more 'balanced' than what you're wanting.

Damn, but I love that show...

Julie K

Screenwriter
Jack,
The first season is on DVD!

(P.S. I think we both will love this week's episode :) )

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

I like that show, but it's not always as "balanced" as they claim it is. They often seem more intent on debunking the issue at hand than presenting a truly balanced view.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I was trying for a 'funny'. 'Balanced' often seems to mean "show both sides but give more weight to the believers". I think P&T is a bit more 'balanced' towards my view. ;)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Balanced, from a producer/directors point of view, tends to mean "put two opposing sides on camera, intercut them, and let these opposites drive the discussion into an argument rather than an exploration."

The advantage to that technique (to the filmmaker) is the filmmaker won't need to know anything about the subject he or she is filming.

Personally I prefer documentaries that are more reflective and less argumentative.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks