Good turntable for less than $200?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by SteveSpoon, Jan 1, 2004.

1. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

Need a decent turntable to dub my LP's onto my Nakamichi RX-505 deck (I know, I know, dinosaur stuff, but I still like it!!). What are your picks? I'm leaning towards a Technics, semi-automatic.

Thanks a lot.

Steve

2. Todd Thurman

Todd Thurman Extra

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Technics makes a couple tables in your price range. I've liked Technics turntables for a long time.

5. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Music Hall mmf 2.1 can be found for around $250.

mm 2.1

6. Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling Stunt Coordinator

I have the Pro-Ject 1.2 turntable and I think it's just incredible. I don't play much vinyl any more, but when I do it is an absolute joy to hear it through this turntable, which is very affordable (about $300). The Pro-Ject line of turntables are designed in Austria and manufactured in the Czech Republic. BTW, the Czechs are justly renowned for their craftsmanship and this thing is of fantastic build quality. I highly recommend their turntables.

7. SteveSpoon

Thanks a lot for the info. I'll be checking out your recommendations. Does anybody know anything about the Thorens tables? Believe the new models are 170 and 190. Where are they made? I know the older ones were made in Germany and Switzerland, but was wondering where the new ones are made. Thanks again.

Steve

8. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Don't forget ebay. If you search for a local person selling you may get lucky. I would only by a TT on ebay if I can go see it first, but it is a great plaace to get more for your money if you get lucky.

9. SteveSpoon

Ok, I'm finally getting it figured out what I really want [​IMG] ........I want a good, sound turntable. I want a good cartridge. I really like the idea of the direct patch cords to record to CD (I didn't know there was such a thing!!).

Now, can you recommended something along these lines? Or, is there another website that deals exclusively with turntables that could help me figure out which model would best suit my needs? Thanks again.

Steve