What's new

Good Times S6 - 8/1/06 (1 Viewer)

Pavan_P

Second Unit
Finally the last season of Good Times will arrive on 8/1/06! I also hear Sony will release some goodies on 8/15/06...we will find out what in 2 weeks.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

this better live up to your remark :)

I hope we see at least one or two (or all :)) of these
Seinfeld season 7
One Day At A Time season 1 (maybe 1/2 combo)
Maude season 1
Diff'rent Strokes season 3
Facts Of Life season 3 (a little soon but you never know with Sony's patterns)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
That means you'll get to see 2 new characters: Thelma's bland fiancee Keith and an interesting guy: loan shark Sweet Daddy!

Shawn_Sm

Stunt Coordinator
I am SO excited! I juist came here to post about Sony's relative inactivity so far this year. Here's hoping we'll see announcements soon for Maude, Seinfeld, The Jeffersons, 227, the Sanford spin-offs, and whatever else they wanna surprise us with.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Somehow I don't expect Sony to have enough sense to release any of the Sanford & Son spinoffs.

And if they do, the only one that was any good was "Sanford" in the early 1980s. My favorite episode was the 2 part second season premiere in which Fred and Esther discover that they were married to each other! (Don't worry...it was a misunderstanding). ;)

To be fair, I've never see "The Sanford Arms" but that only lasted about for about 8 episodes (half of which aired). Anything that short lived probably isn't any worth it although Police Squad! is a rare expection.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
FINALLY! Thought we'd never see GT #6...!

I do remember Sanford Arms..it was funny, but I believe it was viewed as a desperate, last-ditch effort to continue the "Sanford" brand. There's only a few eps though...they should have put them on the last Sanford & Son dvd set.

There's a similar fate behind Marla Gibbs' Jeffersons spin-off. As far as I recall, only 3 eps were aired, so maybe they can squeeze those onto the Jeffersons season 5 dvd??? I sure hope so.

What I DON'T want to see is junk like the last season of "Chico and the Man," wherein Freddie Prinz had died, and they replaced him with a 10-year old kid. That's bad tv, for ya. I almost hate the last seasons of classic tv shows; they almost always were unrecognizable and desperate. "Golden Palace," or "AfterM*A*S*H" anyone? Didn't think so.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
"Checking In," the Jeffersons spinoff, had 4 episodes in April of 1981 and could fit in a season 7 DVD set of the parent series.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I saw every episode of Checking In and it was quite disappointing. Some characters just don't work in a spin-off setting. The Jeffersons was not as good while Florence was away. She's a key to the success of that show.

While it would be nice to see those episodes included on the appropriate season set, I'm not counting on it. I believe the "pilot" for the series aired as an episode of The Jeffersons and that's likely all we will see of it.

Perhaps the Sanford & Son spin-offs could be boxed together but I'm doubting it. That would depend a lot on who owns those separate series.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This disc, by the way, comes out on the anniversary of the show's final episode.

I'm glad they saw fit to complete this show.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
The one-hour pilot was aired as an episode of The Jeffersons, just as the pilot for that series was an episode of All in the Family.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

is Jeffersons and Flying Nun IT for 8/15? you were hyping it up like we were gonna see Seinfeld or Maude or One Day At A Time or something along those lines. Nothing against Jeffersons or Flying Nun, but I guess I was expecting more.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Those are the only titles Sony has announcing TV (TV wise), so that's what Pavan would have been talking about.

Gord

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, I'm glad to finally get the news that I can complete this series on DVD.

Ok Sony, where is the final season of Starsky & Hutch?!?!?!? Let's get on the ball here. Even Paul Michael Glaser himself is wanting the final season on DVD. Let's make that happen.

Pavan_P

Second Unit

I was just passing on what they were telling me. They said "big sitcom titles." VideoETA.com released yesterday what they were, I believe.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Parts 1 and 2 of "Florida's Homecoming" were unedited on the Columbia House VHS tapes. When these cut episodes turn up it is not a question of missing elements. It is a question of Sony's laziness and apathy. No one bought the Larry Sanders Show or Mad About You DVDs because the picture quality was terrible. And they refuse under any circumstances to even address a single quality control issue. And they aren't exactly shooting into Blu-Ray with both barrels blazing.

Sony deserves its current financial woes. Hopefully the consortium that owns 80% of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer will buy back Sony's 20% and all of Columbia Pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.