Good, Tight, Strong 8-10 inch sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Daria, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Mark Daria

Mark Daria Extra

Right now I'm using a Sony SA-WM40, and its a good sub and all, but its too loose and boomy. Even with the polyfill mod, its just too much to handle.

I'm looking for a much tighter sub that will give a better thump for music, but still go down nice and low for movies. Plus, 12 inches is a bit big to carry around.

So can anyone recommend a good, TIGHT 8 or 10 inch sub? I'd prefer to keep it under $200 if I can, although I'd be interested to hear what goes for $250 or so.

I'm not trying to bring the house down here, I live in a small tiny college dorm room, so wattage and volume really isnt that important.

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

how bout the DLS 10" sub from partsexpress.com? only $100. i'd say the next decent step up from that would be the one Anthony pointed out or the Adire Rava and they are considerably more expensive.

3. Mark Daria

Mark Daria Extra

Well, the first one is WAY out of my price range.

The second one, I have to wonder why its so inexpensive.

Any other suggestions? Links to reviews would be helpful.

4. Mark, having been through 4 subs and now on my 5th, I'd advise to save up a bit more than 250 and get something that you will be happy with for a decent amount of time.
    Here are the subs I have gone through:
    1) POS dual 5.25" bandpass "sub"...before I knew any better
    2) JBL PSW1200 (before I knew any better)
    3) Stereo SV-10 DIY subs (similar to the PE one I mentioned)...pretty darn nice with music and fairly decent with HT
    4) Dual BPD1503 sono (can see it in my link below)--One nice monster...but didn't work well with the 100hz XO I was trying to impliment. HT great-Music ok.
    5) Stereo 12's using prototype HE drivers--Very very nice. More than I need till I move out of the apartment.
    I wish someone told be about DIY before I got Subs 1 and 2. 1 was my "what the hell was I thinking" purchase...and 2 wasn't that much better once I saw what DIY and a little saving could get me. 3, 4, and 5 all have their own advantages and I DON'T regret any of them!!
    Do you have any access to a wood shop and have or know someone with some wood working skills? If so, I am sure we can come up with something that will work for you[​IMG] With your budget, you really need to maximize your funds, and IMO, DIY is the only way to go if you want to do it right with your constraints [​IMG]
    FYI, the SA-WM40 doesn't go down nice and low. It just has an exaggerated responce that give you the false impression of big, loud, low bass (part of why it is sloppy--poor transient responce).

5. Mark Daria

Mark Daria Extra

Yeah, sloppy is the way I'd describe the SA-WM40.

My girlfriend might be able to do a little woodwork, how much is necessary? For one thing, I dont know how to solder, and I dont really plan on starting. At most she'd be cutting with a hand saw or dremel, she definitely wouldnt have access to a woodshop.

I cant say I'm totally unhappy with the wm40, it just could be better. I'd love to spend over $250 on a sub right now, but its just not $250 important to me right now, and it wont be until I graduate and get a decent job. Even if I saved, there are too many other things that I need to pay for that I could never justify spending that much on a sub right now, $200 is my absolute max, and $150 would be even better.

I may be able to get a Paradigm PDR-8 for $150, how does that sound?

6. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Find a used sub.

My Definitive ProSub 100 fits your audio and size criteria perfectly, but is over $500 new. If you buy a used one you can probably do very well.

8. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

Maybe you can have some of what you want with your Sony... Just cover the sub vent to make it a sealed sub... and put it as far as you can from the corners.
    You will get, IMO, some of the sound you want and you will save money for a better sub in the future! [​IMG]

9. Charles Gurganus

The AT sub I linked IS a $500 sub for $200. I don't think you will find a better one for the price.

10. James Q Jenkins

James Q Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

11. Charles Gurganus

I am expecting eye glasses any day now James. You are right. Still, well worth the $300. A Energy sub may be able to be located a little cheaper.

12. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Mark Try HTD speakers (subs). I have their level II and the sub was not sloppy like the Sony when I compared the two.
    They are great company to work with and they have a 30 day money back guarantee including shipping, so to trying them out for 30 days will cost you nothing if you decide to send the speakers back.
    HTD SUB

13. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I can not vouch for the HTD sub for I have never tried it but HTD is a absolute great Co. to work with. If you should decide to try their sub out you would not need to worry about the transaction or them stepping up to the plate if called upon.

14. mike_snazzy

mike_snazzy Extra

Best out there is the paradigm PDR-8 or 10

15. mike_snazzy

mike_snazzy Extra

Best out there is the paradigm PDR-8 or 10

16. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Don't feel bad Mike I used to stutter to.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]