good temporary SHIELDED center! help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i just found out my current center channel speaker isn't as shielded as i needed it to be and it's responsible for a green/pink tint i started noticing last night on my F38310....the tint went away immediately after removal but i'm still trying to assess if there was any permanent damage done.

anyway, i dont' have a lot of $$ to spend and 100% tone matching probably won't be possible. so what's a good, relatively cheap center to be used temporarily that is also 100% proven to be shielded? does such a speaker exist?

FYI - my mains are 10 year old workhorse DCM standing monolith speakers, and my surrounds are Optimus that are relatively well matched to the DCMS. the center was a DCM that was probably too old to be properly shielded as described back in 1994.

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Any speaker that is designated 'center channel' will be sheilded. Every manufacturer makes center channels. Take listening material, preferable with lots of different voices, and try them all until you find the one you think sounds best.

3. Sean Patrick

well the "center" channel i'm using now certainly isn't properly shielded. if i place it under by tv with a shelf dividing it, i get green and pinktining in one corner. i was going ot pick up a JBL center today but a lot of reviews mention that they aren't even properly shielded, and those are supposed to be quality speakers.

just don't want to ruin my new 16:9 tv right out of the box.

4. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Sean,

I use an RC-7 center (Klipsch) that is supposed to be shilded. I have a flat screen 36" JVC TV that it did the same thing. I simply placed a weathered piece of wood (drift wood) which was a 5/4 piece of decking that had floated in the ocean for God nows how long on top of the tv then placed the speaker on it. It actually looked better this way as we decorate in a rustic/primative antique look. Anyhow this shielded the TV.

Good Luck.

Phil

5. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Stunt Coordinator

Polk CS245i. Great little speaker for 150-200 clams.

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Try Phil Mays suggestion and see if that helps minimize the magnetic interference.

7. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

8. Sean Patrick

i went ahead and bought a floor model (which had never been used at all, brand new) Polk Audio cs245i ($129). after an initial test it certainly was more shielded than my old speaker but nevertheless i am placing it lower/further away from the TV on the middle shelf of my tv stand.

Seems that speakers positioned UNDER a tv will cause much more distortion. I might end up putting the Polk on top of the tv, although the F38310's top seems awkward for such placement.

thanks for the help guys