Good sub with Energy Take 5.2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Len Cheong, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Can anybody recommend a sub for this system. I know the system is mated with an 8 inch sub but I want to know if there is a better sub out there. If I do go for a larger sub are there any disadvantages sonically?

2. Jon Van Dalen

Jon Van Dalen Auditioning

Well I have the original take5 system, and I use the subwoofer form the energy Encore system. It's a 10" (i believe?) and it goes lower and louder. Only problem is I have a gap because the take5's dont go very low and the encore doesn't go very high. However, the deep rich sound from the encore sub pleases me and I just plain don't mind the gap all that much. I was going to buy the energy 8" for the take5's but I found someone on this forum selling their encore sub for the same price (normally a $500+ sub!)
    So here's what I have to say...
    1. Don't buy too cheap
    2. Don't get a sub that only goes very low (avoid a gap)
    I'm not sure if the brand would matter or not... but all I can say frome experience is don't buy KLH. I didn't think the price tag/brand mattered all that much, and that a sub was a sub and would act like a sub well enough. Well, the KLH 8" I had sounded like some sort of distant bellowing where the energy encore is like a train, or a plane, or an automobile... ot perhaps just a nice bass guitar. Get something reputed to be good by people who know what they are talking about.
    Jon

3. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

I have the original Take 5 and use the Sony 12" sub and they work well together. For less than 200 bucks, you can't go wrong.
    Matt
    ps- Don't forget to play with AVIA or VE and get them to blend. You should be able to get the xovers to put you close to integration with that 10" sub.
    ------------------
    "And I say I'm dead, and I move"....