What's new

Good sub to go with JBL NSP1's? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Masciocchi

Auditioning
Hi all,
I'm a rather newbie when it comes to home audio. I've been doing car audio for about 3 years now, but when it comes to home audio I am completely oblivious. I was doing some research to find some good surround speakers for under $300 and decided to go with the JBL NSP1's as a result of a lot of good recommendations by you guys at HTF. I'd now like to find a subwoofer to go with them. The receiver I am going to use to power all of this is a Toshiba SD-6109C.
I have used a pair of 12" Adire Audio Shiva's in a few of my car installs and I love the way they sound. Excellent response, and very affordable pricetag. I actually have a pair lying around right now and I'd like to use one of them in my room to go with the JBL's, but I don't know where to purchase a home amp for the sub. Where might I find an amp for this sub, and what exactly would I need to connect the amp to the sub? Would adding the Shiva to the JBL setup be a good match?
Besides the Shiva, if I were to buy a sub that allready had an amplifier, and didn't want to spend more than $150-200 on it, what would you suggest?
Thanks all for the help in advance. I look forward to your suggestions!
Patrick

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
While the SA-WM40 is a good bang for the buck sub, I would spend the extra $100 and go with the JBL PB-12(twice the power, and twice the bang)Heres a link for $249 and with some searching may be able to get it cheaper.
Oh and welcome to the HTF!
------------------
Sean
[Edited last by Sean Conklin on November 13, 2001 at 01:16 AM]

Len Cheong

Second Unit
I have the JBL psw-d110 and like its match with the NSP1s. Supposedly has reliability issues and according to reviews at audioreview, dies after a year. Having read these reviews, I wanted to try the Sony SAWM40 and brought it home for a day. Though it was a 12 incher, the 10 inch JBL matched and bettered its performance in terms of output, build, and transparency. However, many people on this forum seem to be happy with the Sony. Both the JBL and Sony can be found on the net for less than $150. The room I have it in is quite big and the volume is just at 3.

Patrick Masciocchi

Auditioning
Thanks to everyone with responses on this topic. It looks like I will have to check both subs out to see which one I like better.
Again, thanks everyone!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
If you built a proper sub using the Shiva, say with a sub amp from partsexpress.com it would "destroy" either the Sony or JBL subs, or almost anything under $1000.

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Since it sound like you have the know how, and you already have the drivers, a DIY Shiva, or two, is a no brainer. You would have to spend a lot of money to compete with the DIY Shiva.
Check out www.partsexpress.com and www.adireaudio.com for plate amps. Also, check out the DIY forum for lots of good sub building info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks