What's new

Good sub for upto $200 (1 Viewer)

Marc*F

Stunt Coordinator
What are some good subs preferably tuned quite low that are not more then $200 or thereabouts?

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I would have to say Polk. Although they aren't the greatest for home theater, they still do a decent job and for music mine is great. Not to mention they are stylish like a $500+ subwoofer.

I would take a look at the Polk subs. The PSW202 can be found for about $200.

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
For the $$$, I've heard you can't go too wrong with the Sony SA-WM40 w/ 12" driver and 120-watt amp. Around $125-150 on eBay.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
If the new Parts Express sub is anything like my DLS-10 (the previous version), it's a $200+ sub for $100.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Where are you located? I have an older Carver sub for sale at your price.

I can second the Sony as a decent sub for the price. Not spectacular, but not bad for what they are going for.

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
That Parts Express sub uses a Dayton Loudspeaker 10" driver. I've got a Dayton DVC 12", and my friend has a 15". They make a pretty rock solid driver in my opinion.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
The sony is also another good choice especially for the price I have heard it and it puts out some shocking bass for the price. I was very suprised. That is another good choice without a doubt.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I'll take the Dayton sub over the Sony or any others that have been mentioned without reservation. It may not be as loud (read boomy) but it'll be more accurate all the way around.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I got the chance to try one of the "Tiny Mity" subs from a friend at work. It's not anything like my SVS but for $100 it ROCKED! Bass seemed very crisp and accurate. If I had to sell my sub I would buy the new parts express sub in a heartbeat.

***disclaimer*** This was not a commercial for Parts Express even though it sounds like it.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
From the measurements I took from the WM-40 compared to the DLS> It was my conclusion that the DLS could put out the SPL that the 40 was capable of. I would also agree with Brian that the DLS sounded better doing it and was the more accurate sub.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
No recommendations for a sub that you could get but if you're going to spend up to $200 on a sub. I would not spend the $200 on the Polk PSW202. From personal experience, it was an extreme letdown. I'm sure the Sony or the Parts Express ones would perform better.

Ted_Wern

Agent
I agree, Polk Subs are terrible. My first sub was a Polk. I blew the amp up after 4 months and then I had a problem with the woofer. It was a huge let down. In the sub category I really don't think anything for under 200 clams is going to be that good. You get what you pay for..

Cagri

Second Unit
I too can safely recommend the WM-40. It's a great sub for the price, especially after the simple mods it really rocks in HT. For music it may be lacking dynamics, it's a bit slow and you lose detail but again, for the money it's a great sub.

Kevin Co

Grip
I was thinking of buying a DLS 10 (based on all the positive reviews on this forum) just before it was discontinued. I was then considering the Sony WM-40 as the next best available option for under $200, when I came across the Velodyne VX-10 for $200. Commiting the ultimate sin, I bought one without listening to it or the Sony. I have to say that I am pleased with my purchase. I know it's not going to match anything from HSU or SVS (or better Velodynes for that matter), but it has plenty of output for my medium sized room with a concrete floor and wall to wall carpeting. It is certainly capable of drawing the ire of my neighbors if pushed (I live in a condo), and it manages to do the job without sounding sloppy or loose. One caveat is that its frequency response falls off a cliff at 32-33 Hz, but I'm sure at this price point there aren't many subs that could better this. I don't have a good feel yet for just how good this sub could sound. I have a large cancellation from 90-60 hz that I need to deal with first. In my subjective opinion, I think that this is a decent, inexpensive sub to fill the void until I buy a house with a dedicated room for HT. I would love to hear how the new Parts Express sub compares to the old DLS 10, the Sony WM-40 or the Velodyne VX-10.

Rajeev_s

Stunt Coordinator
I also have the Vx-10, I love it, hooked up with Energy Take5s. My sub goes down to 28-29Hz at -3dB last I checked. I got it for $160 at 6ave with free shipping.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
I can also vouch for the VX-10 at under $200. I have been very impressed with this sub with both music and HT. But, alas, the upgrade bug has hit yet again and I will be purchasing a HSU VTF-2 or their new STF-10 sub when it comes out, and moving the VX-10 to the bedroom.

But, all in all, the VX-10 is very good for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks