Good sub choice for around $999?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Adams, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I know this question has been asked before, but I am going to ask it again. I am looking for a good sub around the $999 MSRP. Which in real world dollars is around $749. Anyway, I want one that is not very big, play's loud, deep, but accurate. Not muddy or boomy. 75% theater, 25% music usage. I already know that alot of people use SVS, and am considering those, also I am consifering the PSB Subsonic 6 or 7, Monitor Audio FB 110 OR 210, or the Pinnacle subs. I want one ny this weekend. Any help would be great!

2. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I just got my SVS 20-39 and it is great!!! I do not think there is anything else that competes in its price range. I think the only thing might be the Dharman. It is less money. I talked with someone that tried both and he prefered the SVS. He said it did not bottom out as easy as the Dharman. To be honest I do not think the Dharman bottoms out easy. I just think the SVS will handle more bass. When I play music it is not boomy at all. Then when I play a movie the bass is incredible. Good Luck with your choice.

3. PhilS

PhilS Stunt Coordinator

IMO, this one is a no brainer, unless you have a size issue. The answer is SVS. Awesome subs that redefine the concept of bass, especially for HT.

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

If two large boxes isn't a problem...

onecall has the CT150s for $449. So you could get two for $898.

Same with the HSU VTF-2s. ($449 online I think?)

if you wanted to stay with a single box,...PW2200.

You could also consider a HSU TN20 with the new 150w amp? $699?

TV

5. Gail M

Gail M Agent

If you can wait a month or so, I'd get the SVS 16-46+ subwoofer.

6. Myram

Myram Second Unit

Gotta love that......Tom comes in and recommends other companies and doesn't even mention his......LOL.

If I had $1000 for a sub, I would head on over to the Hardware for sale section and pick up the dual SVS 16-46cs and Samson 700 combo for $900. That will provide you with more bass then you would ever use or need.

Or, to go retail.....I would get a SVS 16-46PC, and use the money left over to get a couple good DVD's.

7. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

If you want a sub capable of monstrous bass using high quality parts and excellent build quality. I say give Acoustic-Visions.com a call. This company specializes in custom built subs to fit your budget and performance requirements. I have a 70 litre, 12" DVC in a ported cabinet that's tuned to 21.5HZ. Speak to Kyle and I'm sure you'll be surprised about the price.
    Good Luck

8. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered 2 Hsu Research TN1220HO from www.nax.com $449.00 each delivered, to replace my HRSW10s that have served me faithfully for 9 years. I heard just 1 set up at a buddies house and nearly soiled my drawers. The Doc Rocks, Dr. Hsu that is, and has been building quality subs long before the Johnny come lately. You also get a 5 year warranty. Buy the Hsu amp or use a old receiver or amp and you are talking Liquid Hot Magma Bass........
    Frank

9. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Frank,

You are right, those ARE excellent subs, and a great price. However, don't forget that with your recommendation to "use an old receiver" you had better advise folks to budget for Hsu's add-on equalization box, your own equalizer, or Hsu's amp with the pre-equalization the TN1220 demands.

The low bass performance of the TN series is largely predicated on having some fairly significant boost below 30Hz (about 6dB if I recall what Tom Vodhanel mentioned about this). Keep in mind too that for every 3dB of equalization you are effectively halving the amp power you might apply to linear bass response.

100 watt receivers tend to sound more like 25 watt amps with say about 6dB of boost. Not the end of the world, big amp power is not that expensive today, but something to keep in the back of your mind when budgeting for the total bass package I expect buyers want.

Ron

10. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I was kind of confused by their website. It said that the HSU TN-1220 comes powered or not powered. Is the $449 price just the sub and enclosure, or is it with some sort of amplifier?

11. Frank Frandsen

Jeff,

The $449 price is for the sub and enclosure only. You can get the 150 watt amp for $200 delivered or for serious sound get the 500 watt model that can power 2 Tn 1220HO's. I have a Marantz amp I will be using to power mine. Ron, Good point on not using a receiver to power it, however, back when I purchased my orignal Hsu's the Doc said a receiver could be used, probably a selling gimmick but I did use one for a while.

Frank

12. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Frank, so dual TN-1220'S will do the job? The only other piece of equipment I would need is the 500 watt amp? Do I need equalizers or crossovers? Forgive me for asking but I have always used powered subs. How do you hook up the amplifier to the receiver? And how do you connect the amplifier to the sub? With speaker wire for the amp or 1 rca cable from the amp to the sub?

13. Glen_L

Glen_L Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,

It looks like you're in Ron's neck of the woods. Perhaps you and he could arrange some sort of an SVS demo? You really owe it to yourself to check out their line.

14. Frank Frandsen

Jeff,
    You can attach it to the sub output of your receiver. If there is only 1 get a Y splitter and direct the two outputs of the Y splitter to your amp. This is of course if you are going to get 2 TN 1220's. Depending on your receiver all the low frequency will be directed to the subwoofers at a set point, in my case it is 80 HZ. Check the receivers manual, however. Are you sure you want 2? Depending on room size 1 will be enough to loosen fillings. Check the Hsu Research web site for mor info. www.hsuresearch.com . You will also see that the price at NAX.com is $80 less per unit than Hsu....A Heck of a deal!
    Frank

15. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Frank, one would work fine for me right now. I will start there. So tell me what you would reccomend? TN 1220 OR 1225? What amp? The 500, 250 or 100 watt amp?

16. Tom Vodhanel

>>>so dual TN-1220'S will do the job?> The only other piece of equipment I would need is the 500 watt amp? Do I need equalizers or crossovers?

17. Tom Vodhanel

>>>You also get a 5 year warranty. Buy the Hsu amp or use a old receiver or amp and you are talking Liquid Hot Magma Bass

18. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Keep in mind that the Hsu 1220HO/Hsu amp is -3db @ 15Hz anechoic (D.Keele's Audio review), a figure at which most competing subs are anywhere from -6 to -10db (if making any noise at all).

As far as the eq robbing headroom, there are comparisons in the latest Sensible Sound. Even with what I believe to be the old 250 watt amp (there's a new 250w listed now on the site), it gives up almost no ground to anything it's compared to. There's no doubt that a 6db boost will eat up amp power, so Dr. Hsu seems to have done something quite right with his system to have such output.

19. Scott Basham

Scott Basham Stunt Coordinator

Okay, when do we start the SVS comparisions.. For the money, they have to be in running.. Go ahead guys, I'm curious.

20. Frank Frandsen

I meant the actual subwoofer has a 5 year warranty, Tom. I think Jeff would have a great subwoofer system with the 150 watt HSU amp for $200.00 and 1 TN 1220HO for $449.00 including delivery. NAX is Northern Audio and Home Theater in Pittsburgh, PA and has received positive comments on Audiogon. The demo unit my buddy played me was purchased there and was received in less than a week.

Frank