What's new

Good speakers for a very live room? (1 Viewer)

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
I've concluded recently that the biggest problem in my home theater (which is also my living room, so aesthetic considerations apply) is the liveness of the room (I guess that's why they call it the "living room".) It's pretty echoey. I have realized that upgrading my speakers (currently DefTech ProCinema 200's in front) without addressing this is stupid, but I am also wondering if my choice of speakers should in any way be dictated by the liveness of the room. I'm starting to look into room treatments, but if a better choice of speakers could make my job easier that wouldn't be a bad thing.

I've got hardwood floors but do have an 8'x10' area rug and some (not enough) upholstered furniture. The room is also open to other rooms, and has a cathedral ceiling. From an acoustics standpoint, it seems reasonably complex. I don't know ultimately how well I'll be able to treat it.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Will this setup be used exclusively for home theater?

I have some of the larger Def Tech bipolars (bp2000TL) in my family room (which is also open completely to the left and rear, which has hardwood floors with a small rug, and which has a cathedral ceiling). The bipolars sound amazing in this room! I have also heard that bipolars seem to work well in "problematic" rooms (why this is I cannot say). So even though it may seem that the echo would be too much, for a dedicated HT you might want to try them out. You might even be able to stick the ProMonitors in the rear. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks