Good speaker match for my NAD amp?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Garrett Lundy, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I have a NAD c370 integrated amp I'm using in a seperate 2-channel system. I currently have it hooked upto PSB 1B bookshelves and feel that I have too much amp for my speaker (cost-wise its about 1:5 speaker/electronic ratio).

This gives me the piece of mind knowing that my amp will last many pairs of speakers!

Now I'm looking at 2 internet-direct loudspeakers. The Axiom M22Ti and the Ascend Acoustic 340m, both of which are large "bookshelf" styles with dual mid-range woofers.

Which do y'all think would be a better match for my NAD amp? Is there any other speaker on the friendly side of $500 that should be on my short list of speakers?

Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

Let me get this straight. You are looking for a set of speakers that will allow you to achieve a speaker to amp cost ratio of 1:1?

Are you unhappy with your current setup? If so, what about your PSB's seems to be lacking in your opinion? OR, are you content with your current setup but looking for a small upgrade?

It would help if I knew whether or not you will be using a subwoofer in your setup. If you are, either the Axiom or Ascend would be a solid choice. If you will not be running a sub, you might want to look beyond the Axiom and Ascend for a bookshelf that offers a little more bass extension.

I suggest you take a look at the Evo10 bookshelf. Since it uses a 6.5" driver, it offers better bass extension than the Axiom or Ascend. This speaker is an excellent performer and looks as good as it sounds (elegantly curved real-wood veneer cabinets). IMO, the Evo10 is on par, and in some cases better, than some bookshelf speakers costing twice as much. I believe the MSRP is $500.

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Further Info:

Stereo system is located in a closed 10' by 12' room. A subwoofer is used (although a better quality unit is on my wish list).

I don't necessarily need a 1:1 cost ratio (a different music forum suggest a 5:1 as more appropriate!).

Are my intro PSB speakers bad? No! I'm just looking for a solid upgrade.

4. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

Anyway, who cares about cost ratios? The important thing is to find a bookshelf within your budget that will provide a significant improvement.

Now that I know you will be using a sub, and perhaps upgrading your sub in the future, I think any of the three (Axiom M22, Ascend 340, and Wharfedale Evo10) would be a significant improvement in sound over your PSB's.

Looks may not matter to you, but aesthetically speaking, the Evo10 is easily the most refined looking of the bunch followed by the Axiom M22. The Ascend easily comes in last with its boxy, plain look.

5. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

disclaimer: I help moderate the Ascend forum, and own a full set of Ascends (CMT-340m, CMT-340c, CBM-170)

I have heard all three of the speakers mentioned.

The Evo10 is often overlooked and worthy of Mike's praise. It does have better bass extention than the M22 and CMT-340m, but did not seem as well controlled, it is a moot point though with a good subwoofer. The whole Evolution line should not be missed by anyone....solid, wellbuilt cabinets, look very nice, and great sound too. It gives the value traditionally only known by some internet direct companies a run for the money.

The Axiom M22 and Ascend CBM-170 are two speakers are often compared. Very similar is many ways, but the main difference that really stands out is the execution of the treble. Definitely a matter of taste. The boxy and plain look of the 170 always seem to be picked on...but not its sound.

The CMT-340m is the newest offering from Ascend. A step up from the CBM-170, and the different shape very much helps its looks. While an excellent timbre match to the 170's, the biggest difference is more dynamics, and dispersion.

Definitely try to listen to all of them, I am certain at least one will make you happy enough to want to buy/keep.

BTW...that NAD is sweet!

6. JohnnyCasaba

JohnnyCasaba Agent

I have an Ascend 5.1 setup mated to an NAD T752 and really like the combo. I have the CBM-170's as mains though.

7. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

In my second, 2-ch only system that I like to call the "Brit Kit", I mated my NAD C340 to a pair of B&W DM601s2 speakers and a Cambridge Audio D300 CD Player. It's a fantastic little system, providing that "British Sound" everyone speaks of. I find the NAD drives them very nicely.

Bill