Good speaker kits

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Bodin, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Marc Bodin

Marc Bodin Extra

Hi there,

I am new to home theater. I don't know much about quality brands in home stereo equipment at all. I would like to build a set of mains this fall and am trying to get the best options. Can someone please suggest some good kits out there? I would like to keep the cost reasonable. Should I possibly design my own? So far I have looked at Audax, Adire, and GR research. Thanks.

2. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

I recently finished the RC2 from Rick Craig at selahaudio.com and I love them. Check them out at his site. He is also very helpful with any questions you might have.

3. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I just finished the Adire 281s vented and their LCC. Also finished a pair of the GR Research A/V1+s.

I have not had a chance to compare them properly (side by side) but so far they all sound great.

Others have said that the 281s would be better for HT in a large room as they can handle the extra volume needed better than the A/V1+s. I cannot comment on this myself yet.

They are all excellent kits. Both companies are great to deal with via email or the phone. Both stand behind their product very well after the sale with any question you can throw at them.

4. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Marc, it depends (as always) on your budget. After you've read threads on various forums to get the flavor of comments about the various "brands", you'll be a bit better prepared. BUT, there's nothing like listening to the real thing. Try to find people in your area who have built some kits and would let you listen to them. For good sound at a bargain price, I haven't seen better value than Sound Clearing House: http://www.speakerpage.com/ A pair of their monitors would be a great start for you, and later you could move up to something from GR Research, for instance:
    http://www.gr-research.com

5. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I'm in the same boat, I've been trying to decide on getting the GR-research Paradox 3, the AV3, or the Adire Kit281.

I havn't heard anyone say anything about the Paradox 3 which is why I sorta want to try that kit out. Kit's are CHEAP IMO which is why i'm choosing the "bigger" speakers. The only bad part is you gotta assemble and make an enclosure.

My friend and I are going to be building 2 floorstanding DIY speakers together and we'd like to build 2 different brands so we can compare them. Our price range is $500 for drivers and crossover.

6. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

Marc,
    Looks like we are all in the same boat together [​IMG] . As soon as I finish selling my current speakers I am going to try my luck 1st with an inexpensive set of DIY speakers, then later on to some high end Seas, Scan-Speak projects.
    As Hank pointed out, it really depends on $$$ (doesn't everything). Design is also another thing to consider. I like a MTM set up as opposed to a typical 3way or 4way TMW, So my options are limited to a MTM ~ $300.
    There are lots of good places to get kits as well as ideas. Danny at GR Research is great & I have heard nothing but good things about his kits. I am considering his A/V 3. Also, Elliot at Zaltron is very helpful as well and can recommend several good kits. I have talked to both guys and they can surely find you something. Here are some links for you to visit for some ideas:
    http://www.gr-research.com/
    http://www.madisound.com/
    http://www.zalytron.com/
    http://www.speakercity.com/
    http://www.adireaudio.com/
    http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...homeaudio.html
    I can see you are new to this but you happened to stumble upon a great forum filled with SUPER helpful and knowledgeable people. You should have no problems finding something that will fit you needs with the vast amount of resources and you disposal. Good Luck and Happy DIY'ing [​IMG]

7. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I think the GR Research Paradox series is no longer available with the A/V series. I'm think I read that somewhere.... but I could easily be wrong on that.
    After building both the 281s and the A/V1+s I can say that both are very nice kits. Martice did an amazing review of the A/V1+ setup he has. A search here will turn it up or visit Harmodic Discord - GR Research - AV1+ Review.
    Because of that review and knowing Martice personally I bought the kit for music after I ordered the 281 kits.
    Both the 281 and the A/V kits will fit most budgets. The cabinets are easy to build and both are great kits.
    A lower budget versin of them is the Adire Kit81 with one less 8" driver or the GR Research A/V1, also with one less driver.
    Rob

8. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Rob,
    The Focal Tweeters used in the Paradox kits were discontinued and Danny is selling off the last of his Paradox kits. Contact him to see if he has any left if you still want to build the P3's.

9. Marc Bodin

Marc Bodin Extra

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I can tell that this is a very knowledgeable forum. I will be using the speakers for mainly music. I am leaning towards the adire kit81, probably going with the ported enclosures. Does anyone use this setup? I like the idea of an 8" midbass, and have thought of designing my own, though it seems like the adire kit is a good deal. Also, in regards to crossover design, i noticed that the adire kit uses a steep slope for its crossover, while others use a 6 or 12db/octave slope. Does the size and type of driver used determine the slope you want? Should you use the same slope for both components ie woofer and tweeter? Thanks again

Marc

10. Marc Bodin

Marc Bodin Extra

I thought of using Seas drivers, or possibly image dynamics (autosound drivers). Has anyone had any experience with these? Thanks

Marc

11. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I think kits are a great start, once I build some mains, my next project might be a custom line array using JBL drivers. It'll take a lot of R&D but it sounds like it might have a good pay off.

The best part about kits is it's hard to go wrong if you just follow the directions.

The worst part about DIY audio is it's difficult to audition, and you don't hear any negative reviews on them because people like the speakers they build. (It's our nature) hehe

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

IIRC, Danny has enough tweeters left for 7-8 pairs of Paradox 1's or Paradox 1+'s. Also, I do believe that the Paradox 3 kits use a different tweeter than the P1's and P1+'s. Either way, I do think Danny is phasing out the Paradox series. He's also got a new speaker, named Criterion, using the same 5.25" drivers along with a new ribbon tweeter. I've heard these things and they really are a big step up from the A/V series.

Brian

13. JimY

JimY Auditioning

Chris (or anyone in SoCal)

If you want to get into the Adire 281's and don't want to build the cabinets, I'm selling my 281V's and 281S. Check out the Hardware FS section.

Jim

PS-I've also bulit an A/V1+ type speaker, the SPCA by Dennis Murphy. The 281's and the SPCA's are both good speakers, It just depends on what you want to use them for. The 281's shine in larger home theater settings while the SPCA's lend themselves to the more intimate settings.

14. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Chris and Chris:
    On the second page of my chepo web site you'll see GR Research AV3 cabinets I built for a local customer. I also built and installed the crossovers and installed the drivers. The photos will give you an idea of the solid design. Have fun building!
    http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index