Good speaker kits for $600- $700 (for 5 speakers).

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave_Whiting, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Dave_Whiting

Dave_Whiting Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

Would someone be able to recommend kits for 2 front speakers, 2 surround speakers and a centre. In this price range I am not including cabients as I can make them for free (probably). Also do you guys reccon its better value for money, buying kits rather than "actual speakers". By the way, will probably be matching speakers with a

Marantz sr4200 or sr4300 or
    Denon 1802 or 1603.

Still making my mind up about the amp. I did consider the Wharfedale daimond 8 series speakers, but am now also considering DIY. Could be a bit of fun. Let the comments flow.

2. warrick

warrick Stunt Coordinator

Dave,
    This one that I am looking into and it comes within your price range
    Audax Home Theater Kit
    Have a look here there are some good pics
    Warrick

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Dave: For value, the absolute best source I've found is Sound Clearing House. Their products sound very good - far better than the prices suggest. I know - I've got a pair of their towers and center channel. I've built several of their monitor size speakers for other people also.
    Their towers are $180/pair, center channel is $110 (it's the proper configuration, BTW) and you could do either monitor model for surrounds - the K05B50 is $85/pair. So, for $375 plus cabinets, you've got a good system that will beat the sound of any HTIB.
    Oh, and they're nice guys and give an incredible warranty on their drivers - ask 'em.
    http://www.speakerpage.com

4. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

RC2 from selahaudio.com. Excellent speaker for the money well within your budget.

5. Sean EH

Sean EH Auditioning

If you're up to the task of building the cabinets, you'll definitely get far more for your money with DIY. The cabinets can be a LOT of work though, so buying good used speakers may actually be cheaper once you consider the labor. If you DIY, also consider the MB1 (www.murphyblaster.com). A little more expensive and more efficient than the RC2. Either of these with a good sub (~$300 DIY) will be hard to beat without spending at least a couple of thousand dollars on commercial speakers.

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

7. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

A Kit281 system (281, 81C, 81 or 281, LCC, 81) is a little over your budget but you may want to consider it.

Do you have any priorities in particular such as dynamics, bass, soundstaging, smoothness, etc? How much movies vs. music will you be using these for?

8. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

If you are wanting to do it for the experience that is great and to be admired. If you need speakers, then once you add in cost of materials and labor you will want to consider the nOrh 4.0 package ($850) or the Ascend Acoustics 22-2000 package (5 CBM-170s - $799).

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Bryan,

Cost of materials is pretty small and any REAL DIY'er doesn't factor in labor costs. Plus, the labor is worth it knowing that the kit will almost surely be of higher quality than if you spent the same money on pre-built speakers.

Brian

10. Dave_Whiting

Dave_Whiting Stunt Coordinator

THanks for all the input, this definitly gives me a few options to research. I would properbly prefer the speakers to be a little bit more musical than HT, just because I am going to set up a HT and want it to sound good, but I am not hugely fussed. I am not one to watch movies more than a couple of times.

I am thinking I might just make two fronts and see how that goes.

11. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

Hi Dave,
    One thing to watch here is the import charges to NZ. You shouldn't have to pay any duty, but you will attract large freight costs from the US and will very likely have to pay GST on both purchase price and freight once they land here. Remember to factor this in to the cost (ie add 12.5%.
    As you know, I'm building 5 bookshelfs to go with my sub. The drivers are coming from www.mass.com.au in Australia, and I'll be getting most of the xover parts locally (Hand winding the inductors, resistors + caps may come from PE or Madisound, depending on what I can get here)
    All up, I'm reckoning the cost of parts etc. excluding any finishes on the cabinets to be around NZ$1000.
    Real Rimu veneer or similar is around $300 a sheet last time I checked, and so I'm seriously considering a paint finish.
    Mail me if you want any help. I have speaker testing stuff here and would be happy to help design etc. (Or you can just steal + use my design if you like)
    Cheers
    Jonathan

12. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Hank,

I'm intrigued by the stuff at speakerpage.com- would the bookshelf speakers do OK for front duty in HT? I would pair them with the center you recommended.

Also, I notice the towers don't share the same tweeter as the center channel- how is the tonal blend on the set you are using?

I'm just not finding a lot of stuff in this price range- I'm still going to build a set of AV1's for a music room system, but was hoping to get something cheaper to make for the HT in the basement.

I look forward to your impressions-

Thanks,

Wes

13. Hank Frankenberg

Wes - hi and yes, the SCH center channel sounds fine with my towers. I'm more picky on 2-channel than LCR matching though. The K05B50 bookshelf and the K05C25 center channel do use the same woof and tweet, so there's your matching timbres. Those SCH towers sound great for the cost and will go down considerably lower than the bookshelves. Before I built the towers, I used three of their K05B40's (predecessor to the current K05B50's) and they worked great. Because they're ported on the rear, you'd need to place them several inches away from a wall, but they should be further away than that for best imaging anyway. Here are some low-res pics: http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index.html
    BTW, I'm not affiliated with SCH. I just keep telling folks about them since they're the absolute best value I've seen in DIY kits AND they're nice guys! I've had the towers over two years and they just sent me a replacement driver free (the dust cap had come loose and exhibited the symptoms of a fried voice coil). When I discovered the real problem and fixed it, I called and told them to bill me for the driver as I was ordering a pair of their K05B11 bookshelves for the neighbor kid who does my lawn (bartered a pair of finished speakers for 5 lawn mowings[​IMG] ).

14. Wes Nance

Hank,

I'm going to go with the bookshelves front and rear, with center. It just looks like a great deal for the money.

I'm thinking about getting the pre-cut front baffles- how hard is it to cut that tweeter cutout that's not round?

Also, did you alter the center front baffle? The pics on their site show the tweeter almost cut up through the top of the front baffle, but yours looks more like a normal edge on top.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Wes

15. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Wes,

For the extra $10 I'd definitely get the baffles for the monitors and whatever it costs for the center. Those damn non-round frames will be a bitch to flush mount otherwise. I've done it before but spent half the day doing so because I hate to do things twice!

Brian

16. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i have a queston how good is the norh speakers if i got the same crossover and drivers and bult my own cabinets or should i look for a better speaker to coppy?

17. Hank Frankenberg

Wes, notice that the photo on their web site is taken from below the speaker rather than straight on. That gives the illusion that the top edge of the tweet is even with the top of the cabinet. Also, the photo looks like the horizontal edges are rounded over, like I did mine. The plan shows the top edge of the tweeter is 1/4" down from the top edge of the cabinet.
    Brian and I do have an aversion to non-round driver frames. I would buy the pre-routed baffles.
    Have fun and enjoy the sound![​IMG]

18. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

"Aversion" is an understatement!

19. Wes Nance

Hank and Brian,

Thanks for pushing me in the right direction on the front baffles. Now I'm tempted for $20 for the pair of monitors to just buy all the box parts also, instead of cutting my own- I don't have a table saw, so I use my circular saw with a sawboard- a bit of a pain, but it works.

Brian- where are you sourcing your neodyn (sp?) magnets for the grills you're building? I'd like to do something like that for these speakers. Any grill building tips?

Thanks, guys-

Wes

20. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Hi Wes, how've you been...how's that sub?