What's new

good sounding inexpensive floor speakers? (1 Viewer)

ronKi

Agent
Looking for inexpensive floor speakers ($600 or less) with good sound reproduction that can manage loud volumes and not rattle during playback especially with movies that are encoded with DTSmaster or Dolby true hd. I had Mirage omni's that right after the warranty expired started vibrating and distorted especially with low bass sounds. The rubber part of the speakers cracked hence the vibration. I like to play my movies loud but i hate distortion.
Any suggestions for good quality speakers for someone like me on a fixed income?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you pushed your speakers to the point of tearing the surround, then you need to adjust your crossover on your receiver. You shouldn't push that much bass through them. In your receiver's setting, change your speakers to small and route all of the bass to the sub.

As for inexpensive, look at Elemental Designs. They got some decent reviews recently.

-Robert

ronKi

Agent
So if i understand you right Robert. I should have my reciever think my speakers are small then it will cut down on the bass that rattles them. correct?
Mirage is sending me a replacement woofer for the floor speaker that is torn.
The other floor speaker rattles from time to time but is not torn. Changing the crossover should fix this correct? Thanks for your input!
Ron

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, less bass equals less rattles.

The rattle you hear is the speaker's voice coil slamming into the back of the magnet. You are pushing your speaker beyond it's designed limits. You are lucky that Mirage is sending you a replacement driver. Most speaker companies consider that abuse and it voids the warranty.

-Robert

ronKi

Agent
Mirage is sending the speaker but i had to pay $75 for it. I checked with my reciever set up. It lists full band, then goes to 40hz all the way to 150 hz.
What do you suggest i do? It's an Onkyo tx-sr605. I usually use their microphone set up for speakers. So i need some guidance on how to do it manually. Thanks for all your help. Ron

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Are you using a subwoofer? I agree that using a subwoofer + proper receiver setup should resolve your rattling problem (once the driver is repaired of course). Set your sub crossover to 80Hz. Don't worry, your crossover is not a brick wall so your mains will still need to reproduce

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Assuming you are running a subwoofer, nothing but good advice here. Replace the driver, set the speakers to "Small" with an 80Hz crossover point and you should be able to jam till the cows come home.

ronKi

Agent
Thanks for all the input. I am running a Energy sub and will make the adjustment to 80hz. My receiver does not list small or large speaker.
It says...Full band then the next setting is 40hz all the way to 150 hz
Please explain to a novice like me which crossover setting i should input.
Not sure what takes the bass away from the floor speakers and send more to the sub...is 40hz more bass to the floor or less? Is 150 hz more or less?
Thanks again for all the positive input. I received the speaker today so now just have to make proper adjustments. Ron

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Onkyo uses "Full Band" to mean "Large", everything else is small.

The higher the number, the more bass sent to your sub. Start with 80hz for all except LFE - that should be 120hz.

ronKi

Agent
thank you that really helps. Since i'm not going to use the Audessy microphone to set up any suggestions on the level's for the other speakers after i set the floors to 80hz and the LFE to 120hz?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertigofilmfanman
Recent bookmarks