Good Remote for under $75

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Perry Jonkheer, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

Hello,

Well, I just can't take the pitfalls of my 15-1994 anymore...

I need a new remote yesterday. I'm looking for something with macros, learning ability, backlight, etc...

What is recommended for around $75 or less?

Thanks in advance.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Perry,

Can you raise your budget to $100 or so? That would open up the MX-500 for you.

Also, I was doing a little reading on the JP1 newsgroup and it appears the 15-1994 is going for upwards of $40 - $50 on Ebay. You could sell the old remote to raise the additional funds.

Finally, I'm not sure if you are one who enjoys programming the remote via a JP1 cable or not. If so, you could look into some of the other OneForAll remotes which allow JP1 programming. One that comes to mind is sold @ Wal-Mart for approximately $20.

3. Perry Jonkheer

Thanks for the reply Wayne...

What is JP1 programming?

4. Wayne Ernst

Perry,

The RS remote that you have and many of the OneForAll remotes, have 6 pin connectors which are usually located in the battery area. JP1 is the connector and cables are made with serial connectors on one end so you can connect it to your computer. There is also a JP1 group under Yahoo! Groups that you might want to look up and subscribe to. http://www.hifi-remote.com

Finally, here is another site that will provide some details on JP1 programming for the OFA remotes and the RS remote that you have. Being able to program your remote via the computer is a much better way to go. Also, the JP1 group has lots of files or profiles that have been created for certain devices by many of the members there.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Links:

JP1 Group - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1

5. Perry Jonkheer

Wow, I had no idea my remote had this capability...

Does RS sell the necessary cable?

Also, the main reason why I want a new remote is I can't get the 15-1994 I have now to control my new Denon DVD player (2900). Do you know of any secrets on getting this DVD player programmed?

In addition, I cannot get volume punch through to work with my AVR-3803.

Thanks.

6. Wayne Ernst

Perry,

Radio Shack doesn't sell the cable itself, but should sell some of the parts. I haven't built a JP1 cable, but have ordered them off the Internet from various people who make them.

I recall finding out someone who made them from the JP1 group. They are not a lot of money - $16 or $17 shipped. I have a spare one that I could sell if you decide to go this route.

Your current remote might not be working correctly with the punch-through option because the memory might be full. The remotes such as yours can only learn about 26 commands before the memory gets full. This is essentially the reason for going the JP1 route - by programming the remote directly to the other areas of the memory chip, things can be done more conservatively - and you can get more commands onto the remote.

7. JasonMA

JasonMA Stunt Coordinator

As Wayne said, going the JP1 route will turn your existing remote into a way more useful one, and it's a cheap alternative to buying a new remote. I do however suggest if you're going to get a new one, raise your budget to $100.00 and get the HTM MX-500. It absolutley blows the 1994 out of the water. Check it out at www.remotecentral.com

Edit: fixed URL above

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i third the "save 25 more dollars and get the mx-500" nomination.

9. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

But keep the 15-1994; it is useful for teaching "discrete codes" for input selection & power to the MX-500 when the OEM remotes don't have them. You may or may not need to use the "JP1" capability for this. You will need the "advanced codes" instructions found at the www.hifi-remote.com site Wayne mentioned for JP1.

10. Wayne Ernst

Ultimate "Heaven" would be the MX-500 remote, plus the IrClone interface & software. Granted, getting the MX-500 remote and the IrClone would run about $180. However, this would give you the best of it all.

IrClone Interface for $80

IrClone interface + MX-500 Remote

* I'm not affiliated with BlueDo. However, I have been a previous customer of them and have been happy with their service.

11. JasonMA

JasonMA Stunt Coordinator

I too ordered my remote from Bluedo. They have great prices, great customer service, and a very informative site. The also have extended warranties on the MX-500 for free. I tell everyone I can to order their remotes from Bluedo.