What's new

Good region free player for around $130? (1 Viewer)

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a good region free player for under $130, if such a thing exists. Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but I tried "search", and did some reading, but I found nothing this specific.

I know some people seem keen on the Cyberhome 500 model, but that's a brand I've never heard of, and it's so ridiculously cheap that I'm afraid it may fall apart in a couple of years. Are these super-cheap players (and others like them) holding together and remaining reliable for people?

This is a birthday for my father-in-law, who wants region free, and a good reliable player. But between everyone in the family, we only have about $130 for this, and he can't throw in more $$ himself. So we're stuck with the cheapies to choose from - I just want to make sure we pick the best one overall.

Thanks.

JiM T

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Jim, you might want to check the forums at Nerd-Out for options.

I've owned the CyberHome DVD-500 for about six months. I was initially using it as my primary player, but after encountering a number of problems and annoyances, I've relegated it to non-R1 playback only, the one task it's performed flawlessly. (To be fair, I only have six or seven non-R1 titles at this point, compared to 200+ R1/R0 titles.)

R1 discs were the only ones to give me trouble, including freezes at chapter stops on Glengarry Glen Ross and Grave Of The Fireflies: CE, subtitles constantly popping up on S1M0NE, and audio dropouts on Serendipity. I have experienced none of these problems on the new player I purchased for R1 discs.

I'm not sure that you'll find a flawless all-region player in your price range. However, both of my players combined cost under $130, and I'm pleased with the overall outcome.

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks David - I usually don't look to buy such cheap equipment, but in this case, it's the amount I've got to work with. Your method of two separate inexpensive players is a good idea, though. I've been reading about the Toshiba SD 3900 which does region free playback and is right around $100. If I find out that has trouble with R1, then it looks like it will be Cyberhome and another player for my father-in-law. Thanks!

JiM T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks