Good Region free, PAL/NTSC player, progressive scan...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by David Tolsky, Mar 10, 2002.

1. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

and DVD-Audio player to boot. Does a machine like this exist?

2. Hakan Powers

Hakan Powers Stunt Coordinator

If you only need progressive NTSC and stick with regular PAL, then it shouldn't be a problem..

I'm sure players like the Panasonic RP-91 (built in DVD-A iirc) can be modified to be region free.

3. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

Daewoo 9000. $150.

4. Tulli

Tulli Stunt Coordinator

I think the Chinese version of the Malata (PDVD-N966) has all you ask (the Daewoo 9000 dees not support DVD-A ). If you could spare DVD-A the Malata N996 is your best choice.

5. Hal M

Hal M Agent

Has anyone figured out how to make the Panasonic RP91 region free?

6. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Hmmm... I would like to know if my RP91 can easily be made region-free also.

Anyway, does it have to be DVD-A? Or are you just interested in multi-channel, hi-rez music? If the latter, then maybe the Philips 963sa DVD/SACD player could fit the bill. It's pricier than the other players (at ~$400), but it's readily available and should be higher picture and sound quality in general. It doesn't do scaling like the Malata's though -- at least not unless Philips enables the feature via some possible firmware update, but don't hold your breath on that. It does offer a 4x3 pillarbox mode (aka 4x3 shrink on some other players).

Anyway, it comes region-coded as usual, but can easily be hacked for region-free playback via an RC-6 capable remote, eg. Pronto, One-For-All, Palm Pilot running OmniRemote, etc. PAL->NTSC conversion comes already enabled and has been considered the best such PQ by an AVSForum regular who has seen them all (and has also hacked them all numerous times).

And personally, I prefer SACD over DVD-A, not because of any inherent quality difference, but because there's tons more music (relatively speaking) available on SACD AND much more of what I care about. Still, I have both RP91 and the Philips, so I can do both.

However, due to some quality control issues w/ the Philips, I recommend getting it from a dealer that offers a good return policy just in case you run into a defective unit like I did.

_Man_

7. MichaelOtis

MichaelOtis Auditioning

Anybody? I'm looking for the same thing. (The RP-91 region-free thing, I mean)

8. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

To make the RP-91 region-free requires a hardware mod. If you weren't concerned with DVD-A I would suggest the Toshiba 3900 which is region free and does PAL to NTSC conversion out of the box.

9. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    And there's also the various hacked JVC players I forgot to mention. Some of them like the JVC 600 will do DVD-A.
    Here's one online store that carries various such players at good prices:
    www.220-electronics.com
    BTW, none of these players will do bass management for DVD-A (nor level balancing or time/delay/distance alignment in nearly all cases), so you may need 5 full-range speakers set up equidistant to the listener to get good DVD-A surround sound. [​IMG] So really, look carefully before you buy, if DVD-A is a serious consideration for you. You may need to buy an external BM device like the Outlaw ICBM or get a preamp or receiver that can do such processing for its 5.1 analog inputs, if you don't have such already.
    FWIW, the Philips does offer all those adjustments to a great extent for SACD, but some people over on AVSForum have reported a degradation in sound quality when using such processing. I haven't tried them myself since I only do stereo SACD playback w/ full-range speakers, so I can't confirm. Still, if you go that route, you might not hear any noticeable degradation yourself.
    _Man_