What's new

Good receiver simple setup. Optical and A/B switching (1 Viewer)

Racer83L

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Legakis
Hey all.. first post on here.. I did some searching and only came up with old posts...
Im trying to get a receiver for sound only.. I really only need 2.1 channels for the TV and radio listening... and 2 channels for some outdoor speakers.
Im a new homeowner on a budget but want better sound
My existing setup.. PS3, Apple TV, and Cable box connected to my TV via HDMI, optical out going to my Cambridge Soundworks alarm clock, It actually works pretty good.
but I would like to replace the alarm clock with a receiver for some more sound with A/B switching so I can run 2 speakers outside. Keep the HDMI's going to my Tv and having the receiver only handling the sound (Allows me to have the receiver turned off using only the built in TV speakers or turn on the receiver and keeping the source in only one mode all of the time. with minimal wires going to the receiver (It will be located about 20 feet from the TV)
I am looking for a simple receiver that has optical in, 2.1 or better channels, and A/B so i can listen to outside speakers when I feel like it.
Anyone recommend a receiver that fills these needs???? It seems like they all have 1000 features I dont need, and it is very difficult to find a receiver with A/B switching these days

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Something like this may work for you - it is a stereo receiver that as 2 zones. Does not have optical, as you need to have RCA output from TV hook up to it. For a 2.1 system - you would need to use the line level inputs/outputs on your sub to remove the bass frequencies...
http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-RX5502-Dual-Zone-Stereo-Receiver/dp/tech-data/B000RGR50U/ref=de_a_smtd
Comes in at $140.00....so it won't break the bank...
After getting the receiver, you would need an Optical to RCA converter - they are available if your TV does not have RCA outputs...
http://compare.ebay.com/like/200677098504?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You didn't mention that you have a subwoofer. If you don't, you don't need the .1, which is the subwoofer. All you'll need is a stereo receiver.
I guess you're wanting to run an optical from the tv to the receiver..............
Another option for a stereo receiver is this one, which has A/B switching, but no optical input. http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-8255B-TX-8255-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B001AMSPQI/ref=sr_1_9?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1340051864&sr=1-9
I have a feeling that in order to get an optical input, you'll probably have to get a surround receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks