What's new

Good receiver for Energy Take 5.2 + S8.2 Sub.? (1 Viewer)

Nohea

Auditioning
Greetings!

I will be purchasing an Energy Take 5.2 + S8.2 Sub in the near future. I fortunately stumbled across this forum and would like to ask for some sound, practical advice as to which AV receiver would be best given a butdget of $300 - $400 (taking into consideration great buys you can find on the internet and eBay power-seller auctions).

At first I was toying around with the idea of applying the Sony STR-DE885 (originally was 875, but Sony recently upgraded to 885). After reading a plethora of threads denouncing the quality of Sony products that are tagged STR-DEXXX, I'm drawn towards favorable reviews of Onkyo and the likes (Denon, HK, etc.).

If any of you (and I'm sure most of you seasoned veterans can) could offer me any ideas as to which receiver would best match Energy Take 5.2's strengths (and compensate for the speaker set weaknesses), I would be greatly appreciative.

Furthermore, as a word of caution, I know it's very prudent to audition suggested receivers w/ the actual speakers, but seeing as to how the only place I can audition Energy Take 5.2's (in California anyways) is at GoodGuys. However, they do not sell Onkyo receivers much to my dismay. Any experiences you can share about performances with different receivers with Energy Take 5.2's would be a blessing.

Cheers,
Kevin

P.S. - while researching Onkyo, I noticed that differences in price and features between the TX-SR600 and 500 are HUGE! Is there a comparable Onkyo receiver that might bridge the gap between the two?

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin, I have the Energy take 5.2 as well. First I had an Onkyo 595. It was good but the 600 was just around the corner so I took it back and got the 600. Then, all these postings came out about the power ratings of it and this and that so even though I liked the receiver, I took it back as well. Finally I found the keeper: The new Integra 5.3 (Integra is Onkyos high end line). It has a backlit remote, all gold connectors, multi room capabilities, but most important, I feel it sounds better as well.

In a nutshell the sound is SWEET. I find it more detailed in both bass and treble than the Onkyo, and there is definitly more power to spare. When you close your eyes, you think your listening to full range towers! Im very, very happy. So my advice would be to save a little more and get the Integra (cost me 540.00 here in Michigan). But the Onkyo would be a good piece as well...

Good luck, Mike

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Kevin, given that budget, I would look at both the Pioneer VSX-D811S and the Onkyo SR600 (many have gotten it for $400 at CC and the Pioneer is $400 at Best Buy). These two are pretty much identical as far as features go with the Pioneer also having pre-outs for future amp/power upgrades. You may also want to look at the Yamaha HTR-5560 which is probably ~$400 at various locations. Also, if you're not interested in DD-EX/DTS-ES/6.1 processing then the Denon 1802 should also be considered.

I bought the Pioneer 3 weeks ago and it works very well. I'd recommend it for a try out.

good luck,

--tom

Nohea

Auditioning
Mike...Tom...Thanks for your input!

After doing much research, I find myself leaning towards Onkyo brand receivers as it appears they make probably one of the best low-end receivers out there. As Tom has eluded to, I'm back-and-forth on 6.1 processing. Originally, I was lured to the many Sony STR-DEXXX receivers as they offered faux 6.1 w/ their Virtual Matrix. My question is, given a fairly small sized room w/ moderate to good accoustics, would 6.1 (be it discrete or faux) make a world of difference? By comparing Onkyo's SR500 and SR600, the only material difference in my mind (granted, I haven't auditioned them yet) is the infamous 6th rear center speaker (and a couple hundred dollars!). As you can tell, I'm pretty hesitant about 6.1 as it seems to me a little more than a lateral move (as compared to 8.1's we see out there...which will most likely be very affordable in the near future). Your thoughts, please...

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Kevin,
as someone who decided to just take the plunge and fill the room with 7 speakers (I am now max'ed out - the CFO won't allow anymore so 7.1 processing will be as high as I can go in this lifetime :) ), I would have to say that DD-EX/DTS-ES do make a difference. Gladiator in DTS-ES Discrete sounds excellent. The biggest con to going this route though is the lack of titles offered. Gladiator is the only DTS-ES Discrete title I'd want to own or even watch I think (there are only 15 or so currently). There are more DTS-ES and DD-ES Matrix titles but still a small fraction.
I would say if you're not interested in 6.1 at all and if you think you will be in the future (or x.1 where x >= 6 :) ) and you'll just upgrade your receiver, then stick with something like the Onkyo SR500 or the Pioneer VSX-D711. But if you think you might want to try it, I'd say given the Pioneer D811S a try for

Nohea

Auditioning
Tom

Thanks for the follow up.

Just to clarify, doesn't the Onkyo SR600 incorporate true, discrete 6.1 rather than faux 6.1? In any case, after reading a rather lengthy thread on the SR600, I'm almost certain that I'm going to get it. The multi-channel power drop doesn't appear to be a material factor as, from what I gather, it only affects speakers that require huge amounts of watts to power (i.e. large minimum wattage). I doubt the Energy Take 5.2 (which looks like it only needs 10 watts to power) will experience much of the power problems most other users complain about especially when I watch DVD's (listening to music using 5/6 channels simultaneously might be another thing). As for Pioneer brand receivers, I've had problems w/ them before, so I'm a bit gunshy to even consider them.

My only problem now is to find a rogue Take 2.2 surround for my rear center...a task that's pretty daunting since most sell by the pair!

Anyways, system will be complete by mid-July, and hopefully I'll post a follow-up for those who are curious with matching Energy Take 5.2 + S8.2 sub w/ Onkyo SR600 (perhaps w/ pics?).

Cheers!

Nohea

Auditioning
Before I forget, there's mention that people actually got the SR600 for $400. The best quote I got was for $450 (w/ free shipping). CC has it for $450, but because they do business in California, they have to charge me tax on top of it (a heft 8.5%!).

What strategies did you folx use to bargain w/ CC? Any kinda leverage you can provide me over CC would be awesome. I would much rather have it in my hands immediately than wait a week or so in gut-wrenching anticipation!

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Kevin, yes, the SR600 includes DTS-ES Discrete processing. That was a typo in my earlier post...should have said Onkyo SR-500 and Pioneer VSX-D711.
Sorry to hear about your problems with Pioneers. I still have a 11 year old Pioneer stereo receiver that has yet to die - knock on wood :). My opinion is that every manufacturer has lemons that get through as well as other production problems.
As for the Onkyo, I think it would suit your needs fine. While it does seem to lose power when all channels are driven, I think for the Energy speakers you're talking about, you'll be fine. You also have the powered sub which will take the load off of the amps in the receiver as far as bass frequencies go. I also don't think you'll have any problems with 5 or 6 channel stereo as long as you don't listen at ear splitting levels. :)
Let me know how you like the little Energy sub. That was my first choice for my sub (I have very limited space for a subwoofer and it's dimensions were perfect as were it's reviews and features) but I could not find a local dealer who would sell it to me stand alone. So, I ended up going with my second choice which was the Paradigm PRD-8.
good luck,
--tom

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin, the 600 will be fine, but promise me one thing: Screw Circuit city!! The *ssholes I dealt with here at my local CC have me convinced I and hopefully everyone I know will never step foot in there again, same thing for Best Buy, rip off central! These places prey on the uninformed and it makes me sick!

Mike

Nohea

Auditioning
Mike:

CC hasn't been known for their customer service, but this forum has provided me much more information than any wage-earning sales rep can pretend to muster. As such, all I really need is a good bargaining chip to deal.

The only other physical location where I can audition/buy Onkyo receivers would be Cambridge Soundworks and a few other Hi-end retailers. I haven't heard much about haggling with Cambridge, but seeing as to how it's always empty on most days, they might be more inclined to come down in price.

Oh...I forgot about one other place in California: Fry's Electronics. You think CC and BB are bad...

Tom:
I will certainly tell you how I like the sub. I'm tracking an auction at eBay where the seller is offering the e:xl8 instead of the s8.2. From what I remember, the e-series are a step up? Anyways, it's a bit too early as I'm hoping to get the Energy Take 5.2 + sub mid July. However, the receiver will have to come first.

As for 6.1, like I said earlier, I need to find someone that'll sell me a Take 2.2 separately (as opposed to by the pair). If any of you out there with a Take 5.2 set and a receiver w/ discrete 6.1 withtout a rear-center surround, let me know, and we might split the bill on a pair of take 2.2 surround satellites (...I think I shoulda posted that on another forum...woops).

Sebastien David

Second Unit
If you don't need prologic II, I would advise you to look into last year's models, right about now stores are very incline to giving great deals on very good receivers.

I won't tell you how much I got my Denon 3801 for (I work in the store so that helps as well), but let's just say you could get VERY good deals right now.

The Energy rep told us that for a Take 5.2 system, he recommends something like a Denon 2802/2801. He recommends the 3802/3801 for the Encore setup, which is imo another VERY good offering by Energy.

As for Onkyos, I personally prefer the Denons for the price, but we might have difference price ratios over here than in the US.

Just my 2 cents!

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Kevin, I think you should be able to haggle a bit with Cambridge Soundworks. I actually bought some Newton series speakers for my den/home theater setup. The store I deal with in Nashua NH is well run and the guys remember me each time. They actually will give me the Onkyo SR600 for $475 which is still more than what others have gotten it at CC but I feel confident that if I want to return it or if anything else happens, that CSW store will be much easier to deal with so it is worth the extra $25-50 just for the better service. But it's very different from other CSW stores I've been in though where the help is almost on par with BB and CC. With regards to the latter, CC and BB are fine if you treat them like warehouse stores a la BJs or Costcos. Never talk to the help and always go in knowing what you want to buy/look at. The Circuit City I deal with in Nashua NH always seems to have about 3 sales people for every customer. I don't know how they all keep their jobs. :)
cheers,
--tom

Nohea

Auditioning
Sebastien:
Thank you very much for that recommendation! From an Energy rep in Canada of all places...right from the horses mouth as they say!
For some reason or another, I've never considered Denon's. It's probably because I don't really know anyone that owns one. I know that the Good Guys paired the old Energy Take 5 with a Denon receiver (forgot which one) as a package deal (~US$1,000), but I thought that they were just trying to great rid of old inventory and left it at that. Also, Energy and Denon could be in cahoots w/ one another...not a claim but merely a suggestion :D
But now I have more options which is great! Thanks!
As for DPL II, it's a nice thing to have, but what I'm really drooling over is the discrete 6.1 on a receiver that hovers around $450 (at best) receiver...now THAT'S sexy! I just pray it'll be as popular with the staying power of 5.1...I don't want to upgrade within the next few months because 8.1 (e.g.) became more popular and affordable than 6.1
Tom:
You're absolutely right w/ regards to CC or BB. Most that work in my neck 'o the woods are highschool teens or college freshmens in it only for the buck. Rarely do I find an audiophile amongst the staff (probably because they own their own hifi store). You might find a couple at the CSW's I've been to. I might be able to have more luck with CC since I've personally witnessed counter-offers trading back and forth over a Bose set. What will most likely end up happening is an Internet purchase, but we'll see. I'll definitely avoid those "by appointment only" places...not because they aren't knowledgeable, but because they're too knowledgeable...might end up buying $3K more than I bargained for!
I'm going to try my luck this weekend and keep you posted on the outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks