What's new

Good receiver for $200-$250 (1 Viewer)

Bill Huts

Auditioning
My brother just bought a new 53" television and it came with a pair of Polk surround speakers and subwoofer. I suggested that after spending all that $$ on the tv, he might as well get a receiver and L/C/R speakers to round out the package.

So now I'm stuck picking it out. What would be a good pick for $250 or under, street price including shipping?

#1 priority is ease of set-up and operation

Also looking for suggestions for decent L/C/R in the $50-$75 (each) range. I used to really like the Kef Q15s, but I don't know if they're still around anymore.

Thanks a ton in advance!!!!

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
You can get an Onkyo Tx-ds494 online for about $250, but that does not include shipping. The Onkyo unit is a good choice for entry level because it is a quality product that is also easy to use. If you are interested in that unit, go to shopping.yahoo.com and enter that model name. Other than that, I can't really recommend something below $250. That is extreme budget territory.

JackS

Supporting Actor
You might want to check out some of the Technics. For the price and often much less than $200, you can get very good sound in a unit that looks nice and appears very solid . Sales are frequent with these receivers, and sometimes pretty amazing. Surround sound and an excellent FM tuner for the price of a good clock radio.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I just got my brother one of the lower end HT-series from Yamaha, and it sounds phenominal. There are several mid-range yamaha receiver threads going on right now, and the reoccuring theme seems to be the very high quality and reliabilty of the yammies.

Bill Huts

Auditioning
So the Pioneer VSX-709S, or any Yamaha, Onkyo, or Denon that has DTS and DD that's around $200-250 should work out ok?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For good results, I would wait and spend a little more. There is a MUCH better selection around $400, and it's worth the extra $$ in the long run, IMO. Denon 1802, Onkyo 600 (when it comes out), Marantz SR-5200 are all good choices. Yamaha makes excellent gear, but I just don't like the way their low end receivers sound and I have no use for all the DSP modes, but that is just me.

Keith Ro

Agent
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Kenwood 507.

Feature for feature, I don't think anything else offers more bang for the buck:

5 x 100 watts

DD, DTS and Dolby Pro Logic II (Great for VHS or Television broadcast in surround sound, also not bad for music. Both Movie and the fully adjustable implementation of Music mode)

Cirle Surround

Phono Preamp

MidNight Mode

6 channel analog ins for SACD

2 digital audio inputs

Composite and S-Video switching

assorted DSP's (Arena, Jazz club etc. personally I find these totally worthless, but whatever floats your boat.)

I got mine for $330 Cdn dollars, but I believe they go for $200 - $250 U.S.

If you want to spend more you can get a better amp but in this price range, as far as I can see, it's substantially better than anything Sony, Yamaha, Pioneer, JVC etc. have to offer.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
It would be very hard to beat the Kenwood 507 for is power & features -vs- price! Maybe some 507 owners will chime in.

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
The Kenwood sounds very good. I would go with the Kenwood if you watch cable/sat, if you mainly watch dvds then go with the Pioneer.

Gregg_C

Grip
Don't laugh, but I bought a Sherwood RD7103 for 170.00 at Circuit City, and have been very pleased with it! An excellent entry-level receiver (bought it for my kids).

Gregg

I asked the same question when looking for a startup HT receiver. It didn't take long before I wanted more! I now have the Denon 1802 and it seems to be all I need for now. It can be had for $350 if you look hard enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks