What's new

Good receiver <$800 that doesn't screw things up? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Are there any receivers in the sub-$800 range that do all the basic things right and are known to not to do stupid things? I was about ready to buy an Onkyo 706, until I read that it borks HDMI video passthrough. Onkyo's broken passthrough is described in a Secrets review. Followup statements are in the comments.
I'm flummoxed by the whole HDMI thing to start. I currently run video directly to the TV display and audio directly to the receiver. HDMI seems a step backwards where you have to trust an intermediate device to not mangle your signal.

Maybe I shouldn't care or wouldn't notice? There are other brands, but I haven't found reviews that explicitly comment on whether they do video passthrough correctly or if they screw up other equally basic things.

Bah!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
About a year ago I went completely nuts researching receivers and came to the conclusion there isn't one that does everything right (for me, anyways) in my price range which was around $1000. It became clear that whatever I bought was going to have to include compromise. I wound up going old school and bought a used Pioneer 59txi and matching 59avi dvd player. I still plan on up-grading to a newer setup but not for quite a while.

As for current receivers, I'd look into the Yamaha 863, Pioneer Elite o3, Denon 2809/989. Even the Pioneer 1018, though there was some issue with that as well but I can't remember what it was. I'm sure there's something with each of these (the Denon 989 passes hdmi thru untouched) and the 863 fell short of it's advertised power ratings, but as I said, compromise is un-avoidable.

My personal favorite is Marantz, like the 5003, but they are pricey compared to the others. Sorry I wasn't more help, but as I said, I've been thru it already and came away empty handed.

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
I ended up with the Marantz 5003. That fits under the amount that you are looking for. For me, what was important was having pre outputs so that I could connect an external amp.

Like Gene said, no receiver is going to do everything you want it to. You just have to figure out what is most important to you and then narrow it down. For me, that was pretty easy, it boiled down to the Yamaha, HK and Marantz. Too many issues for me on the HK, Yamaha is great, but for a little more, I went with the Marantz.

Good luck.

Jeff Aguilar

Tom.K

Agent
Jeff, I am very interested in the Marantz 5003 or maybe the 6003. I'm wondering why you don't use the amplifiers in the Marantz. Not enough juice? Or is it a quality issue? I currently have an old Yamaha that has performed well but lacks HDMI for my Panasonic Blu-Ray Player. The Reason I am considering the Marantz is that it is supposed to have a very clean sounding audio section.
Tom

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
The reason I do not use the amps in the Marantz is because I have a 7 channel amp. The Marantz is replacing the Outlaw 950. I wanted to get another prepro and have been waiting for the Emotiva, but got tired of waiting so I pulled the trigger on the Marantz.

I do not know how the Marantz sounds compared to my Atlantic Tech. amp. I am used to the sound of my amp, so I hooked it up to the Marantz. My amps easily weighs twice as much as the Marantz, which means nothing, but in my mind, heavier means better!

Jeff Aguilar

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks