What's new

Good reason to avoid Jiffy Lube (1 Viewer)

CRyan

Screenwriter
Scary? Yes. Any more concerned than I already was about these places? No. Same old shit. Hence why I do my own maintenance whenever possible.

I have never trusted those maintenance services that cannot be readily seen - like transmission flushes and pad clips and radiator flushes. It is easy enough to tell about an oil change but what about the filter? Not hard to tell if brake pads where changed, but what about the brake fluid or caliper clips? All these add on charges for services that you really cannot tell if they were done. The only way to tell in some cases is to go through as much work as it would have required you to do it yourself in the first place.

I do hope it is picked up nationally.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
That is pretty scary. You gotta wonder how much of that goes on around the country. On a side note. You gotta give some credit to those news guys who confront these people. You never know when someone is gonna smack you.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Repairmen... If you can't fix it yourself, prepare to grab ankles.

My favorite part of the story was "Alex". What a total moron. Can't say this story surprised me in the least. In fact if anything surprised me it was that only 5 of the 9 were crooked.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
I have stopped using Jiffy Lube after coming to the same conclusions here on the east coast. I have zero doubts that this is a chronic problem throughout the majority of JL's in the country. JL is one of the worst run businesses I've ever seen. The best thing that cold happen is that the media keeps the heat up and does similar exposes in other cities. They should push this all the way to the exec level of JL. It has the potential to sink the company and rightfully so.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Is it really that much of a suprise to hear about a mechanic ripping people off? I go to JL for an oil change and that's it period. Sure they try to suggest I get things done but I always say no (other than the air filters). If I need anything else done I take it to the dealer.

-paul

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I caught Midas a few years back trying to convice me that my master cylendar needed to be replaced. Luckily I know enough about cars I just told them from the moment I got there - replace the right front brake cylendar - that is all. When they pressured me I got nasty and they let up. Ten years later the cylendar still works fine...

The part which pissed me off the most was that they were a company I did b2b business with, knew the franchise owners and most employees, and thought I could trust...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Jiffy Lube people stole my roommate's car in grad school -- that's our best guess.

He went to a JL or similar to have the oil changed in his late model Accord. The tech was particularly interested in the car, asking some questions about it.

The next night, the car was stolen from the parking lot of our apartment complex. Our best guess was the JL guy used the receipt to get our address to come steal the car.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
My wife had a Dodge Caravan. And the brakes were sounding funny. So I took it to the dealer. He said the rear brakes needed to be replaced...for $400. That was bit steep. So I took it the Meineke shop that I have dealt with before. Knowing he would be cheaper. He looks at the brakes and tells me their is nothing wrong with them just dirty. Didn't even charge to look.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I too had a problem with Jiffy Lube. Simply went in for an oil change..... but of course, they check things, saying my fuel system needed cleaning..... this was my 8 year old F150 that I kept perfect as much as I could.... so I opted to have the fuel system cleaned, where they put some type of fluid straight into a vaccum line...... about a week later, I began losing sensors in the exhaust/fuel system...... Ford immediately recognized the symtoms advising me theat a cleaner had burned up the sensors...... about 300 bucks worth.... I confronted JL management and they paid the damage without any hesitation.....
I haven't been back...DUH....!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks