good ratio quality price

dungeonlord

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
gabriele
Hi everybody

i know that 150E are not much for an home theater but i'm not looking for a cinema experience. Neverthelaess i don't want to waste my money and i would still have the "best" for that amount.

My idea was to connect the system to the xbox and the laptop that i use to play movie (a stereo to RCA cable would be enough for this purpose?). Blu ray player or similar wouldn't be even needed

I had something in mind but i would some expert opinion :

LG-HT304SU

-DAV-DZ30

-Samsung HT-C450

thanks for any help or advice

Al.Anderson

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Al
Unfortunately, being a mono-lingual American I had a hard time with those links. In general we (HT people, not Americans) find it hard to recommend LG, Sony, or Samsung as there are just too many flaws to make them a worthwhile purchase. It's usually best to wait and go up a few Euros. The reason is they usually offer limited connections and upgrade/partial-replacement capabilities. That said, from what I could tell that particular Samsung didn't look too bad. (I would definitely not get either of the other two.)

The standard reco for a decent entry-level system is the Onkyo:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Onkyo-HT-S5305B-Receiver-Speaker-Package/dp/B003H9NHXS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302000535&sr=1-1

davesmith

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
David Smith
But that is 311GBP and the OP wants a system for 150E. Something like this ought to be fine.

Al.Anderson

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Al
Sorry about this, but I consider that Philips a piece of junk. I know the OP had a price threshold, but I'm assuming people come to a HT forum for a reason, and I can't recommned something that doesn't meet minimal criterial. That's why I suggested they wait and get something that they'll be happy with for the long term. And even if they chose to go a different way, they better understand what they're buying into.

davesmith

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
David Smith
Well then how about we try and suggest a solution that is a compromise between your quality suggestion and my cheap suggestion. I would suggest trying to get to a shop and trying a few for yourself, because for 150E you will probably have to choose between the entry level offerings from each firm, and some of these won't be up to much.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.pinballprojects.wordpress.com
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by dungeonlord

Neverthelaess i don't want to waste my money and i would still have the "best" for that amount.

Those sound like pretty contradictory requirements. At that price point, the only options are budget all-in-one systems that will need to be completely tossed aside the minute you want to expand or grow your system.

To answer your question about stereo audio - IMO, that's NOT sufficient for movie playback. You're losing out on 50% of the benefit of Blu-ray, which is lossless, digital multichannel audio.

If you're thinking about going with simple stereo for audio, then why bother with a surround system? Consider a basic stereo amp and a pair of speakers.

What other sources do you have? Do you have cable or satellite TV? Have you thought about having that run through your surround sound system, too?

There are countless posts on this forum from folks who got a budget surround sound system with a built-in DVD or Blu-ray player who ask how they can get their game systems or cable/satellite hooked up to it and the answer is almost always "you can't" because they didn't consider that an option when choosing a system.

We're just trying to ask the questions now rather than after the fact, when it's too late.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frugalfart