What's new

Good Raiders information..... (1 Viewer)

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
From the DigitalBits:

Finally, we've received credible (but still very tentative) information that Raiders of the Lost Ark is finally moving forward as a potential holiday release. This seems to be supported by a recent report in the French DVD magazine Les Années Laser (who were among the first to confirm the Episode I DVD - thanks to Bits reader Alain G. for the tip), which says it's a potential "Winter 2002" release.

Stay tuned...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It seems pretty likely; there have been new prints making the rounds since late last year, and while I'm sure it was in part for some sort of stealth 20th-Anniversery deal, it seems like an awful lot of work for minimal return if there's not going to be some sort of video/DVD release.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The rumors between this movie and Back to the Future have left me to say one thing: I'll believe it when I hear an official release statement by the studio. Until then, all the rumors of these movies are B.S.!

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I thought one of Spielberg's cronies (Frank Marshall?) was interviewed recently about the new CGI-d & restored E.T. and stated they wanted to do the same to at least Raiders for a theatrical re-release.

If this is in the works ala the Star Wars Trilogy SE then I would think the DVDs would come out months after.

Dan

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Yes, Donnie. One can hope.

But until it's official, I shall consider an statement regarding the potential release of Jones or Future as the longest echo that ever existed.

If this news is true, then we should all be happy campers come the day those discs are in our grubby little hands.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I would love to see Raiders of the Lost Ark in a theater, BTW...
I hope Lucasfilm, Amblin, and Paramount put everything they got into the Indy trilogy. 2-disc sets for each film would be neat since that would allow for a DTS track (Speilberg probably will get these films released with DTS due to his using it for nearly all his newer releaes.)
BTTF and Raiders in the same year...in theaters.... :)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Patrick,

I would have to believe Lucas will be calling the shots on this since it's his film. As a result, I would imagine Dolby Digital 5.1 EX such as Episode I.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Raiders of the Lost Ark will have multiple theatre showings in the Netherlands this month and the next.
For all de kaaskoppen onder ons, here's the timetable:
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Regie: Steven Spielberg
Met: Harrison Ford & John Rhys-Davies
Het eerste deel van deze avonturentrilogie, waarbij Indiana Jones op zoek gaat naar de verloren gewaande Ark met daarin de originele Tien Geboden, daarbij tegengewerkt door de Nazi’s die zo hun eigen redenen hebben om de Ark terug te vinden.
Pathé Groningen: 1 april
Pathé Eindhoven: 8 april
Metropole: 11 maart
Pathé Helmond: 18 maart
Pathé ArenA: 25 maart
Too bad I live in Belgium :frowning:

DarrenA

Second Unit
I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom last month on ABC in HDTV with DD 5.1 sound. I would say that if High Definition transfers and 5.1 soundtracks already exist, then there should be no ryhme or reason why these can't be transferred to DVD now, right?!

DanR

Supporting Actor
It seems pretty likely; there have been new prints making the rounds since late last year, and while I'm sure it was in part for some sort of stealth 20th-Anniversery deal, it seems like an awful lot of work for minimal return if there's not going to be some sort of video/DVD release.
High Def transfers were done all the way back in 1999. We're still waiting. :frowning:
I'd take anything reported about Indiana Jones coming this year with a grain of salt (or more like 1,000,000 lbs of salt). Read some of the recent threads on the matter. Besides, The Digital Bits has been way off on Indiana Jones at least a 1/2 dozen times in the past 4 years. That's why they call it the "Rumor Mill".
Regards,
Dan

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Y'know, I have lots of respect for Bill and The 'Bits, but I'll say this about The Rumor Mill and RotLA:
If you keep using that rumor once every few months, and never stop, you're bound to be right eventually. AND, you'll eventually look like a genius. "You heard it here first!".
AICN suffers from the same symptom. I'll take some of that salt! :)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
It's possible that the current HD master for the Indy Trilogy is not what Spielberg wants.

If he was gung ho to restore and re-do E.T. and theatrically re-release it, he may want to do the same with this series. If it was indeed Frank Marshall who hinted at that, then Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment may be on board.

I just hope if this "digital clean up" is undertaken that they don't P.C. it like E.T. (Spielberg never has liked Indy shooting that big, bad sword guy in Raiders... he didn't like guns in E.T., and look what happened!) and throw in a bunch of crappy CGI, just because they can.

Hmmm...

Dan

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Dan,

Isn't Lucas the one calling all the shots on Indy? I'm not certain how much "say" Spielberg has on these films.

David,

Very good point about the Bits.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
(Spielberg never has liked Indy shooting that big, bad sword guy in Raiders... he didn't like guns in E.T., and look what happened!) and throw in a bunch of crappy CGI, just because they can.
I just got done watching this a couple hours ago, and...

1. They better not touch the Indy shooting the swordsman scene. It's the best in the entire movie!!!!!

2. The special effects are amazing as is. There isn't much for them to improve on.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, there are a couple of places where I can see tweaking possibly being a good idea - erase the reflections from the glass seperating Indy and the snake in the Well Of Souls, and I seem to remember seeing some matte lines during the final sequence. Other than that, it's pretty much perfect (although I wouldn't be surprised if they try and re-do the melting).

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I'm with Joseph - I reckon we might see this late Summer. I have no information backing this, it's just a hunch so don't flame me.

N

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks