Good quality speaker switch?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christian Sonntag, Oct 9, 2001.

1. Christian Sonntag

Seeking advice here...
    I have installed some outdoor speakers that I want to run off my HT receiver just to listen to cds or DVD-V soundtracks while in the backyard. Unfortunately, my receiver doesn't have a speaker A/B switch built-in. Therefore, I am considering purchasing a separate speaker switch that will allow me to switch out my indoor mains and switch in my outdoor speakers as needed. I don't need the ability to run both at the same time, so impedence isn't an issue here.
    I know these types of devices exist, but I am concerned that I will be degrading the quality of my mains' signal by running it through a switcher (I'm not concerned about signal quality to the outdoor speakers, but the issue is the same).
    Does anybody know of a high quality swticher that won't degrade the sound?
    Cheers,
    Chris
    ------------------
    Christian A. Sonntag
    "The world owes you nothing. Take responsibility for your own actions!"

2. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

High-quality units are available from Adcom (adcom.com--listed under "Custom" products) and Niles (nilesaudio.com).
    The good folks at Audioadvisor.com have the Adcom GFS-3 ($120), which is rated to safely handle 200 watts/channel RMS.
    It's very unlikely that there would be any audible degradation using a receiver. A few years ago I used a speaker switch box of very high quality (it is not available)--such as those mentioned earlier--and could barely, if at all, detect an audible difference using high-end components. And, if you know me from previous posts on this site, I am an extremely difficult-to-please listener.
    Also, Audio Advisor has a money-back guarantee.
    [Edited last by Alex F. on October 09, 2001 at 02:18 PM]