What's new

Good Quality Cabling /w Affordable Price? (1 Viewer)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Using the bundled cable really helps reduce 'cable clutter' behind your rack. You can always buy the bundle and slit the outer sheath and take it off.

Are these cables really better than the "overpriced" Canare solution?
Ok, lets put things into perspective.

One Monster Z300CV - 4 Meter - $230

You got a quote for 3 component cables, and a long subwoofer cable for $160 using the 'overpriced' Canare stuff. Do you really think it's over-priced?

Sure, save the $20 and go with the Commscope stuff. It will work fine and since the price seems to be the most important issue to you, go for it.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I'm with the other Bob in his recommendations on DIY cables. I've been working with the Canare stuff for the past year or so and it's been great. And fun too. In fact, I just built two more cables yesterday for my new amp. 10 minutes per cable.

I've been using the LV-77S cable exclusively for my audio applications as it's more flexible than the (L-5CFB?) solid center conductor stuff.

It's up to you whether three separate runs of quad shielded cable vs. the CFB cable. I'd be more concerned about cable clutter with the separate runs. I suppose you could get some techflex and bundle the cables that way. That's a big wad of cables.

I say try the DIY route. Make a few different cables and try it out yourself. You'll make your money back after a few cables as well as having the ability for truly custom lengths, style and colors. That's what drew me in. If it doesn't work out, you'll have no trouble selling off the Canare tools on HTF. I got most of my materials through Markertek (sp?) as they will sell custom lengths of cable. A lot of on line vendors sell them in fixed rolls of 500 or 1000 feet which was way too much for my needs. They also have good pricing on the matching connectors if bought in groups of 20 or more.

If you decide not to do DIY, my recommendation is to go with AR Pro cables. Good build quality and good pricing. Check out http://accessories4less.com for discounted pricing. I have a few of these in my system also and they work well on the video side.

Bob

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
I say try the DIY route. Make a few different cables and try it out yourself. You'll make your money back after a few cables as well as having the ability for truly custom lengths, style and colors. That's what drew me in. If it doesn't work out, you'll have no trouble selling off the Canare tools on HTF. I got most of my materials through Markertek (sp?) as they will sell custom lengths of cable. A lot of on line vendors sell them in fixed rolls of 500 or 1000 feet which was way too much for my needs. They also have good pricing on the matching connectors if bought in groups of 20 or more.

If you decide not to do DIY, my recommendation is to go with AR Pro cables. Good build quality and good pricing. Check out http://accessories4less.com for discounted pricing. I have a few of these in my system also and they work well on the video side.
I was going to make them myself, but then I changed my mind after I saw how much they wanted for all the tools and stuff. This is why I asked some people on eBay if they could make some for me. One of them will sell them to me at prices cheaper than bluejeanscable.com.

I understand that the tools may eventually pay for themselves, but I don't think I'm willing to wait for that.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
That's cool. It is a bit of an investment on the front end. Just an opinion (or two).;)

I saved a bit by not buying the Canare stripper and crimp handle. I just use a Parts Express crimp handle, Canare die, rotory stripper, steel ruler and my swiss army knife. The most important part is the Canare die IMHO. It's not quite as clean using a rotory stripper, but that gets covered up by either shrink tubing or the metal shell you crimp onto the connector.

Good luck in your search.

Bob

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Derek, many of your posts include lines like this:
...Looks like a good deal.

...so I would probably have to pay whatever those two stores want for their stuff.

...Looks like he is cheaper than bluejeanscable.com.

...Are these cables really better than the "overpriced" Canare solution?

...and the prices that someone gave me above are both cheaper.
so I got the impression you are on a tight budget, or are afraid of getting ripped-off. For either reason, I understand. I'm on a tight budget myself and I hate companies that use psudo-science to sell high-profit cables.

The Canare/Belden fourmula for cables is well known to cable-builders and people in the industry. Thats why so many of the custom sites use these products.

If you really wanted to go one better, get a quote from www.bettercables.com. They use a coax with a silver-coated center conductor. Members with long runs to projectors producing 100" displays swear by them. They are a bit more than the other custom sites that sell Canare/Belden, but still cheaper than the high-end Monster. And unlike Monster, they will certify that their cables are High Def Video compatible.

JoshuaR

Agent
I recently ordered from BlueJeans, and got very quick turnaround, and an excelent product. Prices are among the lowest I've seen on the net and receiveing my order two days after ordering, can't be beat.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Out of curiousity, it's been almost 6 weeks since this post started. Now in two weeks US troops are at the gates of Baghdad and I was just wondering if you've bought any cables yet? With respect to your component cables, regardless of the fact that you've got HDTV, unless your lengths are extraordinarily long, the choices you've been presented: Canare, Belden, Commscope, (I don't think anyone's mentioned Gepco) will all perform the task of transferring the signal from the DVD just fine. They're all reputable names and while HDTV may sound like a fancy, high resolution term, each of the choices has a bandwidth that likely exceeds 50 mHz by 20 to 40 times or more. You're mentally quibbling over meaningless specification differences for your needs. Even RG59 is fine and has an advantage due to it's slightly smaller size that makes it easier to manage. Whether one cable has a velocity of propagation 2% better than another, 2 uF/foot less capacitance, is 0.02 dB lower or higher at 50 mHz...really, so what? I'd let things like how tight of a bend radius do I need for my application factor in. Solid is more difficult. Stranded is easier. RG59 is easier in both respects. Canare connectors are a well made RCA from a reputable firm if you're going custom made.
Even this source: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/a...eo_cables.html
can provide cables that vastly exceed the capabilities of your needs.
FWIW, Belden has a site and if you poke around you'll find a FAQ that has to do with applications and selected cables.
Also, you've still got that quad shield laying around, and it's an all copper center conductor (stranded or solid) that'll work just fine too. Get yourself some Canare connectors and slap them together. If you don't want to buy their tool, I think the people in the DIY forum will provide excellent alternatives.
Over in the Tweaks forum, you'll find a post that deals with Toslink and sources if you're still in the market. Now get thee some cables before another 6 weeks!

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
You're mentally quibbling over meaningless specification differences for your needs. Even RG59 is fine and has an advantage due to it's slightly smaller size that makes it easier to manage.
Quibbling? I was trying to make an informed decision on which cables to buy. I'm not using RG59 for home theater period. I replaced all of the RG59 in my house with RG6 a long time ago. It was giving me crappy reception on everything.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Assuming it was a decent RG59 your crappy reception was likely due to factors such as damage to the cable (kinked), poor connectors, oxidized copper and such factors.
Yes, you're going from an HDTV receiver to your A/V receiver. Again, the bandwidth required isn't all that much. Virtually all the cables mentioned have bandwidth capability in the area of 2 to perhaps 2.5 gigahertz. Take a look at your manuals and see which of those two is the limiting factor. My guess it's the receiver which may have a bandwidth of 50 mHz. Maybe yours is 100? Even so, each of the cables mentioned greatly exceed this.
Derek: best can be a subjective term when dealing with cables that vary in small ways, none of which matter for your particular application from the point of video fidelity. For example, the relative placements of your components to each other as well as their distances from something like the back wall may dictate a cable with more flexibility. Belden, as well as others, make some cables where the center conductor is solid and have a solid PE dielectric. The impedence is spec'd for the public at something like +/-1.5 ohm and is typically +/-0.5. Now that sounds good except it's stiffer than a corpse in Antarctica.
You might find the following a good read from Belden:
http://bwcecom.belden.com/College/Techpprs/rhtheatp.htm
It lists typical cables from Belden and their application as well as a brief description and a brief reason why one would consider it.
If you want, PM me and i'll give you an email address for a contact person in Belden who's quite knowledgeable about their product line.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Derek - people have given you some advice, including reasons. Hopefully this allows you to make your informed decision. The time-span made it look like you were not taking the advice.

Sorry to hear about your situation. We wish you luck.

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with BobN I just ordered all of the tools and stuff to make my own cables using Beldin 1694a and Canare Rca's. Total cost of one audio cable will be ~$9 for 27 audio and 3 s-video I will make my component later! That is including the cost of the tools as well! My wife is an engineering buyer and scored me 200 feet of the cable as a sample for free. Some good friends of ours have electronics sales business and I got all the Canare tools for half price!!!

I haven't seen this site referenced but if you give them a call they really great prices can be had on connectors and cables here

I am kind of excited to see how they will perform over my mid level monster stuff as well as seeing the cool chrome Techflex I picked out!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
now that's what i call an evaluation sample!! it's not unusual to obtain nominal lengths of wire from a variety of sources...Belden, Madison, NE Wire, etc. you did well. take her out to dinner :)

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
Just so you guys know, I bought my Canare cables from Blue Jeans Cable about two weeks ago. Now I'm just about ready to buy the rest of my stuff (speakers, subwoofer, movies, etc.). My goal is to have everything by the end of May.

Rick Faldo

Stunt Coordinator
Blue Jeans Cables in Seattle offers service secondary to none. I ordered 5 cables last Thursday and picked them up at their shop Friday, how's that for service? Great product at reasonable cost as well.
Kudos to Blue Jean for service, a lost art these days.
Rick

MarkO

Second Unit
Thanks guys ,,ive been eying up Better Cables the last few days.. I need two digital cables. Blue Jeans seems just the ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks