What's new

Good Quality 5-disc changer? Is there such a thing? (1 Viewer)

paulBAW

Stunt Coordinator
I fully understand that quality CD players are not found in a multi disc formatt. I was curious if anybody has found a audiophile grade player. I know Rotel Makes a multi, any others?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Paul, along with Rotel, a few other higher-end companies made changers a few years back. The Cal Audio CL-10 is considered by many to be the best changer ever made, and their CL-5 was also well regarded in its day. If you can find one of those models used, it might be worth your while. Anthem also made a changer a few years ago that was well regarded. Arcam made a stacked changer that got some good reviews a few years back too.

Unfortunately, Rotel is the only "audiophile-type" company that makes a changer now. I haven't heard it, but I would like to. It sells for around $800 and is probably a good player, but I'd have to think that single-disc players (e.g., Rega, Arcam, etc.) in and around that price point would be better.

While some will say it doesn't have the audiophile pedigree, you ought to take a good look at the Sony SCD-C555ES. It is no longer in production, but you should be able to find one used for $500-700. It plays stereo and multi-channel SACDs, and it is a very good CD player. When released in April 2001, it carried a retail price of $1700, so it was designed as a higher-end player. Build quality is excellent. I like the 'C555ES so much that I have two of them (different systems). It's definitely worth a look and listen. Do a search here for numerous comments on the capabilities of this player.

ChuckE

Grip
I just purchased the SCD 555es. It is a 5 disc changer that plays SACD and CD. I don't remember where I found it, but it was recommended to me because it was a "A" Stereophile rated cd player. I bought mine recently new for about $700 from a guy that had several new units (with a receipt). If you are interested I could dig up the guys name and number.
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks