Good Projector in the 3-5K range

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KyleS, Apr 15, 2002.

1. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

As the Subject says I am in search of the best bang for the buck projector in the 3-5K range. This unit will be used in a training/work enviornment and will need to accept input from the computer, VCR, & DVD player.
    The problem with our current projector is that it isnt bright enough and does a terrible job playing video. I need to have both the projector and a monitor plugged into the computer so currently we are using a splitter which has the unfortunate side effect of basically splitting the signal making both the Monitor and Projector drastically less bright. The system is a small Dell GX150 (PIII 1ghz 512mb Ram) which unfortunately doesnt really have the ability to do dual video cards (unless I was able to find low profile AGP & PCI video cards) to fit in it.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated since, in this price range, I am not sure what is our best option.
    (Of course I would love to be able to take this home and use it every now and again to play my DVD's [​IMG] )
    KyleS

2. NateF

NateF Stunt Coordinator

One thing you could do would be to get an nVidia GeForce 4 video card. They're AGP, and have dual output. That would effectively double the brightness of your current setup, if I understand you correctly. For about 250 bucks you can get a GeForce4 Ti4400, which would do everything you need.
    If you still need a projector, I'd suggest looking at Projector Central. (www.projectorcentral.com) It has reviews of all the newest and best projectors, most of which are in your price range. I'd go there before buying anything. One tip - if brightness is important to you, make sure you get a projector that puts out at least 1000 ANSI lumens (that's the unit of brightness projectors commonly use).
    Hope this helps,
    -Nate

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Sanyo makes a bunch of projectors that fit your specs. The XP21n is 2500 lumens, and is very popular both for office and home theater. What kind of screen are you using?

4. Heath_R

Heath_R Stunt Coordinator

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Sanyo is coming out with the PLC-XP46 (replacement for the 45). It should be right at $5xxx. It's: 4100 ANSI lumens, 800:1 on/off contrast, NSH bulb, silent mode, DVI inputs (along with all of the normal ones)