Good Price For Used AVM-20?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by dpippel, Jul 16, 2002.

1. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I'm seriously considering jumping up a level from the Rotel and Outlaw offerings and going with an Anthem AVM-20. For those of you who have this piece and purchased used, what would you consider a good price for an as-new unit?

2. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I think that these are near impossible to find used, but if you do find one, look to pay around $2300-2500. I saw that someone had a black one for sale in the hardware for sale section here for $2200, but not sure if he sold it yet. I think that since this is such a new unit and the demand is really high, it is better to not risk saving $200 buying used, just go to your local dealer and pick one up new.

3. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

You can get it new for $2500 without trying real hard. If you put some effort into it, you can probably get it new for $2300-2400.

4. Aaron E. Smith

Aaron E. Smith Stunt Coordinator

I'm also very interested in the AVM-20. Where and how can I get one new for $2500 or less? Feel free to e-mail (and let me in on the 'secrets'). [​IMG]

5. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

Yeah where? The lowest I heard people paying was 2700.

I just order mine for that price out the door.

I have seen them on ebay and audiogon for $2500. For the extra couple of hundred, you get warantee coverage. I no brainer.

Email me for info on where I got it.

Marc

6. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

I was quoted $2500US by one source who was willing to ship. To protect his dealership, I'm not going to say who it is, you'll have to do the legwork yourself.
    FWIW, given the exchange rates, if you find a dealer who can give you a 20%+ discount ($4500 CAD MSRP w/ 20% discount = $2340 USD) , it's worthwhile to book yourself one of those last minute mini-vacation deals. Fly to Canada, enjoy yourself for a weekend, and pick up an AVM-20 for the trip back. [​IMG]

7. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

I will second the vacation to Canada. I just came back from Shediak (sorry for crappy spelling) NB and Digby Nova Scotia. Absolutly beautiful! Very nice people and grewat food. Man, even the Diet Pepsi tastes better (a different sweetener than we get). And inexpensive too (except the gas was not!). I was not ready to buy at that point otherwise I would have looked into it. I am only concerned that a local dealer may refuse service/upgrades because it was not bought from them. Probably not but could happen. I got a quote around that and they would ship too. They are also close enough that I can drive to them for service/upgrades.

Marc

8. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

The small amount that could be saved, assuming you could find used, does not make up for the loss of warranty, IMO. You could get around this if you use an authorized dealer as a middleman, since the (remaining) warranty is in force if resold via an authorized dealer. However, that arrangement may reduce the savings further.

Doug

9. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

10. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I have talked to Sonic Frontiers about this. I told them I was going to be purchasing in Canada on a business trip and would have no local dealer with which to do the proposed $300 DTS-ES chip upgrade when it came out. I asked if local dealers could deny service. Sonic Frontiers said that technically they could. They highly doubted that any authorized dealer would refuse service however due to the fact they lose the dollar value of the repair and they lose a future customer for any other kind of purchase. SF said I could tell the local dealer I bought the unit used or tell them straight out I got it in Canada...my choice. If the local dealer refused service the tech rep at Sonic Frontiers told me to simply give him a call and he would find a way for me to get service...no questions asked.

So, there is a risk...but it's slight when buying used. Buying in Canada poses even a lesser risk as my Canadian dealer has said that all I have to do is ship it up there for service if something goes wrong. The only thing I am out is the time.

11. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Evan,

12. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Doug, you are correct. Gordon's quote related to service/upgrades. I was saying that you should still be able to get all upgrades if you buy used from a local dealer...however, warranty issues are another item altogether. All of Sonic Frontiers gear (including Paradigm speakers) do not have a transferrable warranty, so if you end up with a service issue independant of any upgrade scenerio, you are S.O.L. unfortunately.[​IMG]

13. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

That is what I was refering to as well. The warranty is a big deal to me.

Marc

14. wayne p

wayne p Stunt Coordinator

IMHO you would be better off spending a few hundred more for a new unit. Although there seems to be no significant history of failure with the AVM 20, given its complexity a couple of hundred dollars more buys piece of mind. I have operated my unit almost daily for about nine months without problems of any kind. If I ever develop a problem I expect above average service from my dealer & Sonic Frontiers.

15. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

I am on my second unit due to a display problem. Purchased from an authorized dealer (for an excellent price, too). 'Nuff said.

Doug

16. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Doug,
    Please email me your dealer in NJ and let me know their pricing...Thanks!

Have any of you guys auditioned the Lexicon MC-1 or MC-12 against the Anthem? I was not all that impressed on the Rotel for stereo but it may have been due to the speakers used. Ht sounded pretty good though. The MC-12 was exceptional but so wasn't the rest of the system.

17. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

18. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Thanks to everyone for the opinions and suggestions. I agree that the small price differential between a new and used AVM-20 isn't worth the trouble. Having a valid warranty and a dealer willing to service the unit is much more important to me than the savings. Now, what about the Sunfire Theater Grand III? I see another thread in my future... [​IMG]

19. Aaron E. Smith

I'm also in NJ--just moved back a few weeks ago, gotta change my info. here--and I'm also very interested in where one might find a good deal on the Anthem in NJ. Please feel free to e-mail me. Thanks!!!

20. Aaron E. Smith

I'm just resurrecting this older thread. Are there any particularly good places to get a good deal on the Anthem or some of the other good pre-pros?