Good portable DVD players

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Grady Reid, May 13, 2004.

1. Grady Reid

Grady Reid Stunt Coordinator

Aug 26, 2002
    Not sure if this is the right section for this, but here it goes: What are some of the better portable laptop dvd players out there? Being a cheap bastard, I'm looking at ones below the $200 range. I have an eye on the Initial DVD-5820 for a reasonable price at an online retailer. Any opinions out there?
  2. Brenda M

Brenda M Stunt Coordinator

Mar 11, 2004
    I have the same question. I would like to use one to display digital photos from my camera and recorded VCDs. And use in my bedroom as a DVD player to hookup to the TV. All the previous questions on this forum are rather old. So how is this one from Amazon that I have been looking at.

Mintek MDP-1770KIT 7" Portable DVD Player Kit

List Price: $269.99
    Price: $249.99
    You Save: $20.00 ( 7%)
    Mail-In Rebates: $50.00
    Price After Rebates: $199.99
  3. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Jul 24, 2002
    My research into them a little while ago found that all of the cheap players seem to have iffy reliability and PQ. I found some better feedback on the Audiovoxes, if I recall.

Sometimes you can catch one of the 5" Pannys for $300ish, but I didn't want to spend that much - I'd just buy an old 400mhzish laptopw/ DVD for that much. Still, the panny units are beautiful - much better than the others. You can sometimes also find some of the Toshiba 7" refurbed SD-p1200s in the low $200s.

I was lucky and caught an AMW 7" on clearance thanks to a tip on the fatwallet forums for $129 @ Best Buy. PQ leaves plenty to be desired though, and the battery drains (blinky lights) if you leave it hooked up. It was a good deal for the price, though.