Good play in NYC?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott L, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I'm going to the Big Apple this weekend for Conan tix I have and was also hoping to catch a play. Just wondering if anyone has some recommendations.. I was looking at RENT, 42nd St, and Thoroughly Modern Milly (already seen this one but wouldn't mind another viewing with friends).

Also is there a better way to grab tickets other than Broadway.com? Would waiting in that line for the Times Square leftover ticket booth be worth it? It's for a 2PM show on Saturday Sept 13 so hopefully those don't get sold out too often. Thanks for any help!

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Nine, with Antonio Banderas. He's only in it through Oct. 5. If you can get tickets; it's been a long time since I've waited in line at TKTS, so I don't know what they'd have (and I wouldn't count on it for that show).

M.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i saw rent a couple months ago, my gf was a spanish teacher (also the drama advisor)for the local high school, and we went with a bunch of the drama club kids in nyc. i had never been to any kind of show before (unless you count the radio city christmas show, which you shouldnt) and i thought rent was absolutely phenomenal. great performances by the cast, the band, the whole show blew me away. i'm not a 'show person' either, and i found myself very interested in going to another. go see rent, its wonderful.

CJ

4. Galen_V

Galen_V Second Unit

Saturday matinee's are usually some of the toughest tickets to get as they are usually when family's go to the theater. Therefore, it will probably be hard to get ticket's to shows such as "The Lion King" and "Aida", etc. I would first go to the box office of the show you want to see before I would head on over to the Times Square ticket booth, simply because when you go to the Times Square ticket booth you have a limited choice, so if you don't really care what you want to see it is worth a shot.

I would personally try to get tickets to The Producers, even if the chances are slim that you could get them. I know the show hasn't been soldout recently because Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick are not there (and people are holding out until they return) but is worth a shot for what I think is the best show in town. As for the others, Rent is pretty much a hit or miss show-either you love it or you hate it (I personally think it is overrated). I have heard good things about "42nd Street", mainly that it is a fun, enjoyable show.

Other recommendations-"Mamma Mia!" (everyone I have talked to has loved it), "Urinetown" (good stuff).

Also, preview season is starting up, so you could take a gamble and see a show like "Little Shop of Horrors" or "The Boy from Oz" (with Hugh Jackman). The tickets are usually cheaper, but there is the risk the show could be awful.

5. ToddR

ToddR Agent

Rather than wait in the line in Times Square for the half-price tickets (which can be an hour or two wait), go to the booth at the South Street Seaport. Same deal - half price tickets on day of show, but much shorter lines.

6. Michael Reuben

One other option: The revival of Cabaret, which has run for over five years now and just announced that it's closing in November. The current leads are supposed to be pretty good, and the revival has the unusual distinction of having been co-directed by two people who have gone on to become major film directors: Sam Mendes (American Beauty, Road to Perdition) and Rob Marshall (Chicago).

Because the revival is staged at Studio 54, it's a different experience from most B'way musicals. You're in a real nightclub.

M.

7. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

I just got back from a day trip to NYC and caught LITTLE SHOP (alot of fun for everyone) and CABARET, since I wanted to see it one more time before it closed.

I got my CABARET ticket at the TKTS booth and they still had soem pretty good stuff available for the 8PM perfs.:

TAKE ME OUT
    GYPSY
    URINETOWN
    MILLIE

And the wait in line wasn't too bad either. It took about 25 minutes total.

Rafael

8. Michael Reuben

9. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

avenue q

10. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

If you like Billy Joel there is Movin' Out which is supposed to be very enjoyable.

11. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

Hairspray is fun and frothy, good tunes too.

Joe

12. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

I recommend seeing the Blue Man Group. In fact, I've got tickets for the 7:00 performance on Saturday the 13th. It's a combination of music, comedy, vaudeville, juggling, and magic, and it's really a fantastic show. I've seen BMG in Vegas, and I can't wait to see the NYC show. Though it's not really a "play", it's certainly an amazing theatrical experience.

Astor Place Theatre
    434 Lafayette St.
    New York, NY 10003

Tickets and seating:
    212-254-4370

www.blueman.com

13. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Dang the list is so varied I still haven't narrowed anything down! But still thanks for the responses. [​IMG] I think I will be making my choice from what's leftover at the TKTS booth. The official site says they open at 10am. Would 9-9:30 am be a good time to start waiting in line?